Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your truck HERE to be a part of December's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm starting to cut apart my core support(1981 chevy k20) to fit a stock 2nd gen intercooler and I'm curious

Has anyone ever put a smaller intercooler...say a mishimoto m line universal fit IC in front of the 12v?

It's only slightly more expensive than I can find for a used stocker, and it's still decently large.

I'm just not sure if it's enough to cool the air, the truck will primarily be daily driven with light towing use occasionally.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
23,854 Posts
I have a 2nd Gen IC in my 84 Blazer it was a tight fit but it's in there. If your using the 2nd Gen radiator you'll need a wide IC.

I moved this to the Conversion Section so if you have more questions just ask in this same Thread.

Give us some pictures of your Conversion.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have a 2nd Gen IC in my 84 Blazer it was a tight fit but it's in there. If your using the 2nd Gen radiator you'll need a wide IC.

I moved this to the Conversion Section so if you have more questions just ask in this same Thread.

Give us some pictures of your Conversion.
Thanks man I apologize, I'm still learning to navigate the forum.

I'm not opposed to the 2nd gen ic and radiator, I just thought I could save some money and get a smaller IC and cut more core support out for extending piping around the radiator (and figure out some kinda bracing)

Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Automotive tire
Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Automotive tire
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive tire

·
Super Moderator
23,854 Posts
I probably spent a good part of the day trimming my radiator support to make the 2nd Gen radiator and IC fit. I did have to remove the safety latch on my hood because it was hitting on top of the IC. I never added anymore bracing to the support, there was still plenty left.

The 1st Gen Dodges radiator is a little smaller and so is the IC it would probably be a better fit.

What radiator are you planning on using?

Do you have your engine sitting back so you can use the stock fan, or moved forward and using electric fan?

That's a clean looking truck must be in the south?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks man, actually I'm in Ohio, somebody had gone through and half ass restored the truck when I bought it years ago, after I wrecked it I figured I'd go ahead and build the truck I really want.

I have the engine slid forward to allow the cab to clear the downpipe and back valve cover, but I really want to use the mech. Fan for towing. Idk what I'm gonna do just yet.

I like the idea of stock dodge rad and IC just for the sake of knowing it'll work. 👌

·
Premium Member
1,860 Posts
Considering a lot of first gen Dodge12 valves came from the factory without an intercooler at all (89-91 trucks I believe), I'd say you can probably get away with running a smaller intercooler if space considerations mandate.
Obviously the bigger the better as far as intercoolers go, but sometimes packaging requires compromises to be made.

Reactions: scout2000

·
Super Moderator
23,854 Posts
Here's my build on page 2 you can see how close the IC is to the grill, it's a 2nd Gen IC and radiator.

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
IMHO, its better to get the engine down and back with a dropped crossmember. (or just back with a body lift). Then you have more room up front.

The trouble with the factory 1stgen and PSD intercoolers is the pipe connections force you into a narrow rad. I would be looking at the aftermarket or 2ndgen IC. The 1stgen setup (especially the rad and short fan hub) are quite costly.

A 1stgen style downpipe (hard 90*) gives you more room at the firewall.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
IMHO, its better to get the engine down and back with a dropped crossmember. (or just back with a body lift). Then you have more room up front.

The trouble with the factory 1stgen and PSD intercoolers is the pipe connections force you into a narrow rad. I would be looking at the aftermarket or 2ndgen IC. The 1stgen setup (especially the rad and short fan hub) are quite costly.

A 1stgen style downpipe (hard 90*) gives you more room at the firewall.
I'm probably gonna have to bite the bullet and slide the engine back so I can just go with mech. Fan and 2nd gen rad/IC.

The truck has a 1" body, the space isn't so bad of an issue as what I had thought it'd be.

·
Premium Member
3,845 Posts
My nephew used a Mishimoto intercooler like the one in the photo on his 5.9 - C30 4x4 swap, it worked out well for him

·
Super Moderator
23,854 Posts
The 89 to 91 Dodges didn't come with a IC and they were used to tow all the time.

·
Super Moderator
23,854 Posts
Are you going to be towing heavy?

·
Super Moderator
23,854 Posts
This summer I had about 3,000 lbs in my dually and pulling a trailer totaling around 3,000 lbs and I have 1 16" electric fan and it never came on as long as I kept moving and didn't sit to long at a light. It had to be close to 85 and humid that day.

In the winter time or even cool weather I don't have any problems at all.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
This summer I had about 3,000 lbs in my dually and pulling a trailer totaling around 3,000 lbs and I have 1 16" electric fan and it never came on as long as I kept moving and didn't sit to long at a light. It had to be close to 85 and humid that day.

In the winter time or even cool weather I don't have any problems at all.
That's exactly what I wanted to hear lol

·
Super Moderator
23,854 Posts
I have 1 electric cooling fan on my Blazer but don't tow much with it in the 4 years i've been driving it probably only turned it on about 5-6 times. Now if your going to have AC you will need the factory fan.

·
Premium Member
3,845 Posts
Like myself he tows a fair amount with it pulling a 25 foot goose neck hauling hay and a 10k lb skid steer with attachments
His C30 is about a 1000 lbs or more lighter than my F-450, but my average gross weight is 25/27k lbs
He tried running electric fans at first but with the weight and the hills and hollows we travel here in Kentucky he had constant over heating issues on any good sized hill.
When he pulled the engine to replace the timing gear case (he didn't know about the KDP) he moved the engine back and added a mechanical fan
I went with mechanical fan at the beginning so no overheat issues with mine

Here's a couple photo's of the loads we haul
Cloud Wheel Sky Tire Land vehicle

Skid steer gets hauled 15/20 time per year

Wheel Tire Sky Cloud Vehicle

I haul 900-1000+ bales per year (65-75 loads), he has more cows than I do but hauls some hay with his semi

Reactions: braxt0n

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Damn. You guys are into some serious hauling there. I'm not gonna (nor do I want to) be towing that much or that frequently, just pulling my mini excavator to and from jobs, North Central Ohio isn't like Kentucky, not a lot of hills here....I'm pretty much still on the fence whether I should try and fit the mech. Fan or just go electric.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts