Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have another serious issue. I began having a knocking sound 1000 miles after new injectors from Exergy. I sent them in for testing and they said there is heavy metal debris in them. #3 and #6 are the only ones outside of factory spec and they said I caught the issue quick enough to cause serious damage. They are telling me that the metal inside injectors is my fault from sloppy install or from my cp3 or air dog not working properly. They gave me three options. 1. I can return injectors for a full refund and they will send My cores back. 2. They can clean the injectors and I will have to remove ALL fuel system components and reinstall injectors but they want over a grand to clean them. 3. They can clean them and put stock nozzles on at no charge and I can clean ALL fuel system components and run them stock to clear up some of the smoking issues I posted about before. I have no rail pressure or lift pump pressure issues besides my lift pump needing to be turned down as its running about 20 psi. They didn't tell me if the metal was magnetic so I don't know if it's the cp3 or something else. I did a search online about metal in injectors and in 2012 and 2013 There are 3 posts on another forum about Exergy BMS injectors having metal in them after 1k miles on two posts and one post a guy had metal in them after 15k miles. They wanted a thousand for there injectors to be cleaned as well. I need some advice on what to do. This kills me considering I'm completely broke after buying my gauges, air dog, and injectors. I can't afford another grand to clean them out. I am thinking about selling this common rail engine and switching over to a 12 valve if I keep the truck at all. I'm also leaning towards I just can't afford to own a diesel which kills me cause I'm in love with this truck and obsessed with Diesel engines and spent many nights in 15 degree weather working on it like it was 70 and sunny outside. I would gladly spend every night working all night no matter how cold it was but not if I have to be homeless and walk everywhere cause my truck is down.

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
I thought Exergy and BMS (Bosch motorsports) were two totally separate animals.
It looks like Exergy (Exergy Performance) only sells BMS injectors.
Are you sure they were actually BMS injectors?
Do you have any other issues with filters?
Did you change the tubes when changing injectors? (they have little filters in them from what I understand)
Tubes must be changed every time.
Everything must be very, very clean when working on these things.
For injectors, look at DAP.

·
Premium Member
6,012 Posts
sounds like you really wanna keep this truck, so i would go the cheapest way i could to keep it. have them clean them and put stock nozzles on. then you do a good cleaning of the whole fuel system and put new feed tubes in just in case there is metal pieces in the tubes.

·
Premium Member
6,012 Posts
I thought Exergy and BMS (Bosch motorsports) were two totally separate animals.
It looks like Exergy (Exergy Performance) only sells BMS injectors.
Are you sure they were actually BMS injectors?
Do you have any other issues with filters?
Did you change the tubes when changing injectors? (they have little filters in them from what I understand)
Tubes must be changed every time.
Everything must be very, very clean when working on these things.
For injectors, look at DAP.
from what i understand exergy gets new bosch injectors and puts their nozzles on them. bms is just bosch injectors with bigger nozzles, so bosch performance injectors. then once the body need works for a higher hp rating (200+hp or whatever it is) exergy does that work to the bosch injector and same with bms. there might be more to it then that, but we will know when i get corrected.

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
BMS are done by BMS and no one should have any reason to change anything on them. If you buy BMS injectors, the last time they are touched should be from BMS. If Exergy takes Bosch injectors and changes tips, that does NOT make them BMS injectors. If they take bosch injectors and put their tips on them I'm sure they tell you...(?)
Oh, from what I understand Bosch and BMS are technically different companies.
Anyway, I'm guessing the metal came in from another source... not from the injectors. Again, I'd look at the tubes.

·
Registered
818 Posts
They gave me three options. 1. I can return injectors for a full refund and they will send My cores back.
Xergy seems to be stepping up with superb customer service here, in my opinion.

This for me would be a no brainer. I would return the injectors, get the full refund and my cores. At this point you're only out of pocket expense is shipping, correct? Then I would buy a BRAND NEW SET of Bosch injectors AND tubes.

Keep it stock, keep it working. That's just my philosophy.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
BMS are done by BMS and no one should have any reason to change anything on them. If you buy BMS injectors, the last time they are touched should be from BMS. If Exergy takes Bosch injectors and changes tips, that does NOT make them BMS injectors. If they take bosch injectors and put their tips on them I'm sure they tell you...(?)
Oh, from what I understand Bosch and BMS are technically different companies.
Anyway, I'm guessing the metal came in from another source... not from the injectors. Again, I'd look at the tubes.
Xergy seems to be stepping up with superb customer service here, in my opinion.

This for me would be a no brainer. I would return the injectors, get the full refund and my cores. At this point you're only out of pocket expense is shipping, correct? Then I would buy a BRAND NEW SET of Bosch injectors AND tubes.

Keep it stock, keep it working. That's just my philosophy.
Those ARE brand new Bosch injectors. The 50hp 143* injectors are factory replacement for QSB440 motors. Not sure which application the 128*'s are off, but once again, Brand New Bosch pieces. Never been touched. Did you get new fuel tubes and where? There has been some knock-offs turn up. Buddy ran into it here- http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/3...jectors-now-white-smoke-after-10-15miles.html
I would try and get things cleaned. Even if you go to unload the truck, you have to get it running right to get your money back out of it. And this stuff always pops up when you're tapped out. I've had that with gas as well. The 12 valves were legendary, but the trucks they came in weren't really. So to pick one up for a swap isn't bad. But they are almost from a bygone era too. You get them warming up in cold weather, it burns your eyes. Not seeing your truck, sometimes you go through this, and then you don't touch them again for a long time.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The connector tubes are brand new and I already upset Exergy and half the ppl on here because I questioned whether the product was what they claimed it was. I'm more concerned with how to get the metal out of the fuel system and the head.

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
The connector tubes are brand new and I already upset Exergy and half the ppl on here because I questioned whether the product was what they claimed it was. I'm more concerned with how to get the metal out of the fuel system and the head.
There has been 'knock off' tubes floating around... that have caused issues.
I've always heard Exergy has been a good company to work with.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts

The connector tubes in the video towards the end of the thread linked above were thought to be new Bosch- even the retailer thought they were, that's why I linked it. My understanding is Exergy is good as well. And everybody here cools off fast. It's a brotherhood. Nobody here wants to see you in a bad spot.

Reactions: gasjr4wd

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

The connector tubes in the video towards the end of the thread linked above were thought to be new Bosch- even the retailer thought they were, that's why I linked it. My understanding is Exergy is good as well. And everybody here cools off fast. It's a brotherhood. Nobody here wants to see you in a bad spot.
I appreciate that. I don't trust any companies anymore because of to many bad experiences. I just don't know what to do or where to go. Now with Exergy having a bad attitude towards me because I have questioned there products I think they want to wash there hands of me. I can't justify giving them another grand on top of the 3500 I already have them for the injectors and tubes. Anyone have advice on what I need to do to make sure I get the head and fuel system clean enough.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Take the high pressure line off the back of the cp3. A piece of 1/2 heater hose will slip right over the cp3 fitting. Run the hose into a gas can. Turn the key and let it crank. You can use a funnel with a white rag in it to see if any debris comes out. Make sure the tube and injecton lines are cleaned inside and out with brake cleaner and blow them out with air. Have them clean the injectors. Did you do anything to purge the line when you did the air dog installl?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes I installed a sump and washed out and dried the tank and ran diesel through the lines of the air dog by unplugging them before the cp3 and running the pump to get air and any debris out.

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
...and then go over to DAP.
Diesel Auto Power
Really good guys to deal with. I think I got mine for $2300 including tubes. Then pay someone to do them. I think I paid a local shop $500 to do them. I just didn't have time.

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
Yes I installed a sump and washed out and dried the tank and ran diesel through the lines of the air dog by unplugging them before the cp3 and running the pump to get air and any debris out.
I think davem3261 was talking cleaning out the fuel system more downstream. After the AD, heading up to the cp3 and the tubes... It's more important to get things clean after the AD. The AD handles everything up to that. Once you open up the fuel system after that there is no other filter (yes, the tubes are supposedly have filters but IMHO crap should never reach them).

...just thinking out loud... wonder if your cp3 is taking a dump... ?

·
Registered
965 Posts
Exergy told you where to look and you posed it!

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Take the high pressure line off the back of the cp3. A piece of 1/2 heater hose will slip right over the cp3 fitting. Run the hose into a gas can. Turn the key and let it crank. You can use a funnel with a white rag in it to see if any debris comes out. Make sure the tube and injecton lines are cleaned inside and out with brake cleaner and blow them out with air. Have them clean the injectors. Did you do anything to purge the line when you did the air dog installl?
Is it safe to turn the cp3 on with just a rubber hose over it with the pressures it makes? I guess it would only be about 4-8 thousand psi but still will the hose hold up to that? Thanks I need all the help I can get on how to clean everything. What about cleaning the injector bores and the connector tube bores without getting a bunch of metal/debris in the cylinders?

·
Registered
108 Posts
Is it safe to turn the cp3 on with just a rubber hose over it with the pressures it makes? I guess it would only be about 4-8 thousand psi but still will the hose hold up to that? Thanks I need all the help I can get on how to clean everything. What about cleaning the injector bores and the connector tube bores without getting a bunch of metal/debris in the cylinders?
The cp3 isn't making any pressure with a hose over the fitting. I have never cleaned the connector tube bores during an injector install. I'm thinking you could stuff a rag down the injector bore and shoot cleaner in the tube bore.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I will put a tag in there and shoot cleaner in there. I read somewhere brake cleaner isn't safe for the fuel system.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.