Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

braking problem

972 Views 11 Replies 8 Participants Last post by  DODGE4LIFE
heres the problem i notice a slight movement in the brake pedal , so i thought the rotors are warped so i had the rotors cut an put new brake pads .
so i ve done a brake job on the front of the truck. 1992 dodge d-350 2wd. i git it all together an it still feels like they are warped but has got worse when i am braking. even worse when i am braking hard. what could it be!!!!!!!!:CRY::CRY::CRY:
i just got done fixing the a/c not to long ago, what else geeezzz:w::w::w:
:$::$::$ its just money right. something i do not have alot of!

this is a great website

any insight would be great thanks
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
3,332 Posts
Rear drums might be out of round also.

· Mr. Vehicle Destroyer
12,391 Posts
yes agree with the above, and turning of rotors makes them even more suseptible to warping, I have seen them rewarp in under 1000 miles on some vehicles.

· Registered
262 Posts
ya drums .. and check your drivshaft yokes . i had that problem and after i changed the brake , it turned out to be the yokes.lol witch made no sence to me but it fixed it

· Registered
934 Posts
It could be over active abs. The abs on these early trucks only works on the rear axle, and could cause a peddle "shake" that would get worse the harder you hit the brakes. If the abs light is on on the dash this is probably not the case, I don't think the light turns on until there is a problem in the abs system and it is not functional. To check and see if it is in fact your abs you need to open your glove box, pop the top of the glove box out of the dash so that it will fall all the way forward and give you access to the area behind it. Behind your glove box is a black box with a big plug in it, this box controls your abs. If you pull the plug out of this box it will disable your abs, hopefully gettin rid of your problem. Lots of guys with first gens do this. Mine has been disabled for thousands of miles, some while towing with no issues. Good luck, hopefully that will fix it.

· Registered
550 Posts
If the abs light comes on the abs wont work. I know you said that but just wanted to make it was said plainly. Try checking your wheel bearings the two wheel drive and bad about eating them up that and upper and lower ball joints and a-frame bushings. All could cause a shake or shutter while breaking. Hope I helped and not just added to your frustrations

· Mr. Vehicle Destroyer
12,391 Posts
I am going to have to disagree with the ABS diagnosis there. The only kind of ABS that would cause the pedal to shake is four wheel ABS with a pump. i think they only had two wheel ABS on these old girls (correct me if i am wrong). Standard two wheel ABS only has solenoid valves to dump pressure off they are incapable building pressure to move the pedal.

· Registered
934 Posts
The abs never worked on my truck so I'm not sure what it would feel like through the pedal. The only working abs I've had was on a rig with 4 wheel abs.

· Registered
1,715 Posts
It is quite possible that the rotors are still warped. We used to set up a dial gauge on the vehicle and measure runout then when the rotor was mounted on the lathe we would check the runout there to make sure we had it the same. We started doing this after having problems where we were creating runout on rotors that didn't have it when we started.

I no longer turn rotors. It's not cost effective with the price of rotors today and as was mentioned earlier, they are more susceptable to warpage after they're machined down.

As was mentioned, check drums.
Steve g

· Banned
606 Posts
I've seen rotors that looked ok, but the webs were broken. Turn the rotor, looks beautiful. First time you step on the brake, you crush the webs a little and it's pounding again.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.