Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a little play in my steering, not sure if this is normal. (225k miles) and I havnt even looked at the truck yet. What usually solves this? New steering box? Anyone know off hand what they cost?

Also it pulled to the right when you hit the brakes. I put all new calipers, rotors and pads on.... it still dives to the right when you hit the brakes.
Any ideas what this could be?

Truck is a 97 reg cab. Also has brand new tires on it.

·
Premium Member
16,205 Posts
If it's a 4wd a worn out track bar will cause the pull while braking.

For the steering box try adjusting it> TSB 19-10-97

·
Banned
1,777 Posts
new wheel bearings fixed my dive to the right......

but the passenger side bearing was soo hooped u couldn't spin it by hitting it with a hammer (once it was seperated from the rotor and off the truck that is)

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks... I'll look into these. I just hauled my car trailer 200 miles this last weekend and it was like driving a 1930's truck... thing was all over the place. It wasnt bad till I pulled a trailer. Or a few weeks ago my mom borrowed it and put like 1500lbs of dirt in the back, she said she couldnt go over 45mph or else it was uncontrolable.

·
Registered
3,548 Posts
The front-ends on these trucks leave A LOT to be desired.

It could be any of these things, (all of which I've replaced)

1. ball joints worn
2. track bar worn
3. steering box worn + flex (need new box & steering brace support SBS)
4. wheel bearing(s)
5. steering shock
6. levelling kit shifts front axle to driver's side (adj. trackbar re-centers axle)
7. sway bar end links (and/or drag links, tie-rod ends etc...)

As for the brake pulls, these trucks are notorious for that too.

The "new" calipers are only available rebuilt and I'd say about 1/2 are sticky and many fail right off the bat.

Try swapping the brake pads between left & right. Old trick.
Could be the brake lines (old rubber collapsing).

Otherwise, the front end slop issues compound the brake pull problem.

What tire (and wheel) size are you running?

·
Registered
332 Posts
The front-ends on these trucks leave A LOT to be desired.

It could be any of these things, (all of which I've replaced)

1. ball joints worn
2. track bar worn
3. steering box worn + flex (need new box & steering brace support SBS)
4. wheel bearing(s)
5. steering shock
6. levelling kit shifts front axle to driver's side (adj. trackbar re-centers axle)
7. sway bar end links (and/or drag links, tie-rod ends etc...)

As for the brake pulls, these trucks are notorious for that too.

The "new" calipers are only available rebuilt and I'd say about 1/2 are sticky and many fail right off the bat.

Try swapping the brake pads between left & right. Old trick.
Could be the brake lines (old rubber collapsing).

Otherwise, the front end slop issues compound the brake pull problem.

What tire (and wheel) size are you running?
I am on 35's, 2.5" level, and a Skyjacker 4-7" adj track bar, and I know that the track bar has a tiny bit of slop and I am making a bracket to fix that, but I get a clunk noise when I turn hard. Also my PS gear box just started to leak out the bottom and my middle tie rod (the one half way down the main arm) is almost dead, and dead sway bar links. Oh and I have 1 ball joint that just died (seal wise, but just happened).

I am going to replace the ball joint soon, and make that bracket in the next week or 2 for the track bar, but do you think that will fix my problem? (I know there is a lot wrong, but I am in college and bought this truck as a fixer-upper)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts