Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm going to start off with the brakes in these trucks suck even when they work properly. With that said here's my problem it seems like the rear brakes in my truck seem to work then not work. Feels like only my front brakes work sometimes when I come to a stop but other times my rear brakes will lock up. It's kind of aggravating wondering if I will be able to stop at the en of the road....

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
169 Posts
Rear brake are new or not? If not , maybe cylinder brake and linkage are worn, rusty, damaged or broken(usually spring and cable inside drum brake) . Also the park brake cable stuck may caused this problem.
Also , your rear brake adjustment is maybe too tight, unscrew the star wheel to fix it.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Previous owner said he out new rear brakes in a few months before I bought the truck. But my point is that the rear brakes feel like they just stop working the. The work great then just stop working again then work great. I did have problems with the anti lock stuff so I unplugged the box behind the glove box.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
169 Posts
That work great when you brake twice ? Its maybe air in brake line ?
Or.....Well you said , you disconnected the RWAL module, its maybe your RWAL(Rear Wheel Anti-Lock)valve located in rear inside the frame rail on the driver's side, above the rear axle is defective.

·
Registered
11,477 Posts
I would replace the rubber line. It may be swelling shut internally or has deteriorated and has a flap from a deteriorated lining that is acting as a valve. If it solves nothing at least you have a new line instead of a very old one. It would not be a bad idea to change the front rubber lines while you are thinking about your brakes.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts