Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok I'm not sure if I'm venting or begging for info!!!

I went to my grandma's house a couple hundred miles away to haul stuff out and settle the estate.

About 100 yards before I get to her house, white smoke begins pouring out of the rear of my truck, I was nearly there and let it ride till I made it praying it was in fact the brakes not something major :thud:
I yanked the duals in the rain, pulled the driver side rear brake. it's a disk brake. Pulled the caliper (brand new brake pads were glazed.... :CRY:)
I didn't know what else to do so I sawed a board, drove it between the pads and bailing wired the caliper to the axle and limped her home :pray:)

changing the caliper is the next step... any tricks or suggestions? anything I should look for? anywhere I should get a replacement part? does the e-brake still work (dumb question maybe?)
this is in the 911 section because I was upset before the brake incident and now I'm just borderline depressed or worse.... :coocoo

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
ok I'm not sure if I'm venting or begging for info!!!

I went to my grandma's house a couple hundred miles away to haul stuff out and settle the estate.

About 100 yards before I get to her house, white smoke begins pouring out of the rear of my truck, I was nearly there and let it ride till I made it praying it was in fact the brakes not something major :thud:
I yanked the duals in the rain, pulled the driver side rear brake. it's a disk brake. Pulled the caliper (brand new brake pads were glazed.... :CRY:)
I didn't know what else to do so I sawed a board, drove it between the pads and bailing wired the caliper to the axle and limped her home :pray:)

changing the caliper is the next step... any tricks or suggestions? anything I should look for? anywhere I should get a replacement part? does the e-brake still work (dumb question maybe?)
this is in the 911 section because I was upset before the brake incident and now I'm just borderline depressed or worse.... :coocoo

I think the e-brake is a drum type inside the rotor so it should still work.

Maybe the ABS screwed up somehow and is holding pressure on the rears?

Any codes?

Randy

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
no codes, it limped home with the driver rear caliper not attached to the wheel at all, and no leaks... the other brakes worked fine, looks like the caliper wouldn't release the piston... not fun but not impossible to replace oh well... any advice though?

·
Registered
265 Posts
check your break lines, see if there is a cut in that line running to the rear caliper. sounds like you aren't getting any realse on the line?? just my two cents

·
Registered
3,397 Posts
The caliper is probly just froze up. Happens alot. Step on brakes, vehicle stops. let off brake, accelerate down road, caliper didn't release, smoke rolls!!!

Don't know why it happens, but that's the way it usually does.

·
Registered
159 Posts
nevermind.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts