Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

41 - 55 of 55 Posts

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
May I suggest removing the hose that goes from the front cross member to the front axle and plugging it there before it enters the hose. If you still have a hard pedal then you have narrowed it down more. That is about all I can suggest. From there right hose, then left hose plug.

Real bummer!

Edit: Didn't understand right. I see that is what you did. The only other thing I would know is if a caliber was rusted fast and not sliding. This would cause it to stress the mounting ears in order for the outer pad to meet the rotor. I have seen this on guide pin calibers. Make sure your calibers are free so slide on the guides.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
May I suggest removing the hose that goes from the front cross member to the front axle and plugging it there before it enters the hose. If you still have a hard pedal then you have narrowed it down more. That is about all I can suggest. From there right hose, then left hose plug.

Real bummer!
I plugged it right after the hose that goes form the cross member to the front axle where it splits. when plugged there I got the hard pedal. so there is something after that thats messed up.....

trying to find a parts store by me that has the rubber hoses that go to the calipers.

Btw there is no pedal fade. just soft even when truck us off, but much worse when its running.

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
Okay, I don't think this is the case, but I did read where someone had mounted his calibers on the wrong side. He tore them both off took them with him for cores, brought home the calibers and mounted them on the opposite sides. This put the bleeder at the bottom which in turn never let him get the air out of the cylinder.

Make sure your bleeders are on the top. Unless you own the truck from new, you never know what a PO might have done.

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
By the way, did you see my edit above your previous post about rusted calibers?

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Okay, I don't think this is the case, but I did read where someone had mounted his calibers on the wrong side. He tore them both off took them with him for cores, brought home the calibers and mounted them on the opposite sides. This put the bleeder at the bottom which in turn never let him get the air out of the cylinder.

Make sure your bleeders are on the top. Unless you own the truck from new, you never know what a PO might have done.
lol. yeah the bleeders are correct.

The brakes worked perfectly fine till i cut the brake line a few months ago at the rear.... havent right since....

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
I just saw it thanks.

I will have new out board hoses tomorrow. lets see if that helps at all.

Maybe I will be bale to get this all sorted out before the 10" snow storm tomorrow night. lol

·
Registered
89 Posts
On the block on the frame rail that divides pressure to front and rear. Forget what it's called. There is a pin that either has to be in or out to get fluid to back brakes. Maybe the pin is stuck which is affecting pressure. Try moving that pin in or out

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
On the block on the frame rail that divides pressure to front and rear. Forget what it's called. There is a pin that either has to be in or out to get fluid to back brakes. Maybe the pin is stuck which is affecting pressure. Try moving that pin in or out
I did check that a while ago. If that was an issue then i wouldnt be able to get a hard pedal when the line is blocked after thaqt block.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
UPDATE

OK, so i had some time to work on the truck some weeks back before the snow hit and this is what I found.

I used plugs to determine where the issue is. I plugged the port going to the rear brakes at the master cylinder and did the following to test the front brake circuit.

1) Plug port from master cylinder = correct pedal feel
2) Plug port coming out of proportioning valve = correct pedal feel
3) After the soft hose that goes to the front axle ( both output ports ) = correct pedal feel
4) Hook up passenger side caliper ( new soft hose and new caliper ) = correct pedal feel
5) Then hook up driver side caliper ( new soft hose and new caliper ) = SOFT PEDAL that goes way way down
6) Plug off Passenger side while drivers side is still hooked up = SOFT PEDAL that goes way way down

just for haha's I put a new hard line from the soft line that goes from the axle to the from and no change.

This is the point i got to when the snow started flying and havent gotten to it since.

I'm at a loss and not sure exactly where to go from here.

I suppose that I could take the caliper off and raise it higher and see if that would do anything to help.

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
Can you post a picture of your new calipers? The last set i tried to get i had to exchange a couple times because they were GM calipers in the boxes. Very similar and actually do fit but the hoses won't seal correctly and leak.

·
Registered
11,411 Posts
I once had a car I had to take the caliper off to bleed. Once I pointed the bleeder at the sky it bled perfectly. Until then I was extremely frustrated by the air that remained.

·
Registered
576 Posts
This sounds like a proportioning valve that is tripped, when it was driven or moved without a line the valve moved to block the leak and wont reset, have you seen a factory service manual to see how to reset procedures. if there is one. does it have front ABS? the valves i mean are the ones below the master cylinder. hope this makes sense couldnt read the entire thread

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
wanna12vc - I'm dealing with the same issue on 91, did you find a resolution?

UPDATE

OK, so i had some time to work on the truck some weeks back before the snow hit and this is what I found.

I used plugs to determine where the issue is. I plugged the port going to the rear brakes at the master cylinder and did the following to test the front brake circuit.

1) Plug port from master cylinder = correct pedal feel
2) Plug port coming out of proportioning valve = correct pedal feel
3) After the soft hose that goes to the front axle ( both output ports ) = correct pedal feel
4) Hook up passenger side caliper ( new soft hose and new caliper ) = correct pedal feel
5) Then hook up driver side caliper ( new soft hose and new caliper ) = SOFT PEDAL that goes way way down
6) Plug off Passenger side while drivers side is still hooked up = SOFT PEDAL that goes way way down

just for haha's I put a new hard line from the soft line that goes from the axle to the from and no change.

This is the point i got to when the snow started flying and havent gotten to it since.

I'm at a loss and not sure exactly where to go from here.

I suppose that I could take the caliper off and raise it higher and see if that would do anything to help.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
wanna12vc - I'm dealing with the same issue on 91, did you find a resolution?

Nah man I'm at my wits end. once I figure out the fuel issue i'm gona break down and bring it to a shop to see what they can do .

41 - 55 of 55 Posts