Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Dumbass
4,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i just had my front brakes (pads & rotors) done a few weeks back, cuz they were fried. when i took them to my local shop, the mechanic said they were non-floating rotors so i had them do the install just to avoid having the truck in pieces in someone elses driveway. but i have been talking to a bunch of people who say that they are just standard floating rotors that i coudl've swapped in a few minutes. WTF?? did i get totally scr3wed on this or what?!?! not even OEM Parts, just standard stuff, i got charged $600. that was for both rotors & pads.

the truck has a dana 60 & a dana 80 rear.

I havent done the rears yet but if they are floating i will save the money and bust it out my self.

So help me out here. can i bust the back pads out & will i be safe to do the fronts next time. or is it worth the money to have someone else deal with the hub/bearings?

·
Mopar1973Man.Com
26,259 Posts
As afar as I know the front and rear both are full floating rotors...

So far I'm at 121K miles and my pads are like 60% left... But I did have to re-build the rear calipers because I don't use my brakes very much... I've got a exhaust brake that does 90% of all my stopping for me...

I only spent $32 bucks rebuilding the 2 rear calipers on my truck new seals and 1 new piston that I damaged... I could of spent $120 per caliper ($240 total) for rebuilt ones (The come with all new hardware and pads...)

So I would say for $600 bucks you got ripped...:w:

·
SuperDuperMod
2,816 Posts
i did a full brake job on mine last year, hour and a half, pretty simple. i think you might have got hosed... just a little.

·
I wanna go fast...
3,471 Posts
I have my 99 apart right now, and the fronts are a PAIN...The front bearings had to be removed. I think that Dodge moved away from this in 2000 or 2001, just not sure when. $600.00...I will do your next 5 sets:thud::thud:

·
Mopar1973Man.Com
26,259 Posts
The funny part was my last post I forgot to add that my total repair bill was $32 bucks for all new seals and 1 piston for the rear calipers... These are Dodge Dealer only parts but for $32 bucks I'm not whining... I did it myself in about 2 hours... :w:

·
Registered
325 Posts
once you get the calipers and claiper brakets off the rotors just pop off maybe a smack or 2 with a BFH ive done mine front and rear with calipers in rear $ 33 each for all four rotors $40 for cermic front brakes and $48 each for rear loaded calipers with cermic brakes took me about 2 hours to do front and rear with brake bleed sounds like a scam

·
Dumbass
4,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Some Beach!!!! I knew they should've been floating!. The worst part about it is i dont even like the shop but was told to go there because they were cheap/good. HA. never again. I still have to replace the rear pads/rotors so i think i will handle them this go around.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts