Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a 15 5500 with 32000 miles. This week the brakes (at first the front) and now the back will lock up or start dragging on their own without pushing the pedal. The only way to get the truck moving again is bleeding them. Took it to a dealer and it happened to them and they want to replace the power steering pump,hydroboost,master cylinder and all the calipers and rotors as well. Telling me around $11000.

I call BS and tell them that all of those components cant be bad with this few of miles and at the same time. Anyone else seen this??:surprise:

·
Registered
598 Posts
What that dealer is telling you is that they have no troubleshooting ability and they will throw parts at the problem until it goes away. I suggest you try another dealer or an independent shop that works on brakes.

You bled the brakes to release the calipers. Have you tried to flush the brake fluid to see if there contaminates blocking the lines?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Haven't done anything yet because the truck is at the dealer. I just wanted to share my issue to see if someone else has had it happen. I've talked to 3 service departments and none of them have any ideas.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Truck is parked for extended periods?

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
If opening the bleeder releases the brakes it’s not a frozen slide. Something is holding residual pressure in the system. It could be contaminated fluid but it’s more likely in the master cylinder or possibly the hydroboost. We need to know if it’s the same calipers that always hang up or different each time. Both fronts or rears or only one? Both on one axle leads to booster or master. One on a given axle leads to caliper hose.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
I had a brake hose internally fail on my wrangler (2001 with 149k) and it acted as a check valve and held the drivers front caliper. I replaced the hoses up front and no issues since. if fluid contamination looks like a concern I would be willing to replace a few hoses for little $$$

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
took the truck to an independent garage. He got it to act up and noticed the power steering pump "humming" He thinks it had a valve sticking and making the oil overheat thus letting some thin hot oil to get by something and making the brakes apply. After replacing the pump he has driven over 40 miles and it hasn't acted up.

Sounds pretty strange but I'm not a mechanic.

The rear rotors,calipers and pads are shot though and will need replaced.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Now we have a new power steering pump and a new problem. Now the pedal sometimes falls to the floor and you have to pump them to get brakes. Back to the shop for a master cylinder. But the truck steers easier than ever and they haven't locked up.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sorry about the long delay but the master cylinder fixed it. Brakes working better than ever

1 - 13 of 13 Posts