Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 95 2500 4x4. the previous owner installed the passener side shoes improperly and caused the brakes to fail on me while driving. fun times. i got her home and replaced the shoes and drums and upgraded the cylinders while i was at it. when i bleed the brakes the pedal stayed soft. it goes to the floor and the abs light comes on and off. i cant seem to get the pedal to stiffen back up. wondering if anyone has any ideas or suggestions. thats for any help.

·
SC Chapter President
1,288 Posts
Are you getting anything out of the bleeder valves? Air, brake fluid, a mixture of both?

·
Premium Member
16,205 Posts
Assuming you bled the brakes correctly...
Many times if the brake fluid hasn't been changed regularly and contains water it will rust internal parts of the master cylinder. Not usually a problem until you go to bleed the brakes and push the pedal down further than it usually travels in normal braking. The rusted master cylinder shaft then tears up seals causing an internal leak. Best to replace the master with a rebuilt.
To avoid this happening I use a vacuum pump to bleed brakes but if you don't have one it's best to place a board under the brake pedal before you start bleeding to limit the travel to the same amount as normal braking.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts