Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all, as the title states, my truck makes a fair amount of brake noise. When cruising it is a constant on and off squeak that you hear each revolution of the caliper (e e e e e...). When light braking the squeak stops. When heavy braking it starts again but it is a steady squeak (eeeee...). Not like the sound when cruising.
The pads and rotors are good with a fair amount of life left on them. My pedal isn’t like it was when it came off the lot (as expected) but it is far from soft. The sound seems to get worse after pulling a trailer (I properly adjust trailer brakes).

My parking brake is just about worthless now. It won’t hold the truck on an incline while in neutral yet alone a trailer. I adjusted the star wheel on the rear brakes attempting to tighten but there was no gain. (Drivers side up, passenger down).

I haven’t fully dove into either issue yet. I just wanted to get a little input on what to look for before I waste time trying to troubleshoot. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Sounds like the pads are worn and the indicator tab is contacting the rotor. How exactly did you determine the pads have a good amount of life left in them?

·
SuperModerator
10,019 Posts

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Are those the fronts? What about the rears?

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Did you check both sides? What about the both fronts? If none of the pads are worn and the indicator tabs are not contacting the rotor, you likely have a rock or debris stuck somewhere.

·
SuperModerator
10,019 Posts
Check the fronts they wear way faster than the rears.
Likes said above to look for something that doesn't belong.
Check the splash guards or whatever they are called, be sure, not bent and rubbing.

Reactions: 2002CTD

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Check the splash guards or whatever they are called, be sure, not bent and rubbing.
Yes indeed. Check the dust shields while you're at it.

·
SuperModerator
10,019 Posts
Thanks, I knew it wasn't right but my CRS is getting worse as the years go by.

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
You need to adjust your parking brake until you can’t turn the tire, then back off until there’s little to no drag. That’s about 5-6 teeth on the wheel. If you can’t get any drag , or there’s any, and I mean ANY axle oil showing on the backing plate you need to pull the rotors and investigate.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts