Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

brake rotor bright red

787 Views 6 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  Philip
I think a caliper locked up on me. It started to pull hard left.t. i drove for alittle 10 minutes~ then pulled over didNT find anything then drove for another 5 minutes. Stopped and the rotor was bright rede ( front left). Break pedal went to the floor. I let it cool down for about 2 hours.
rim hot hubcap hot. Once cold it drove like nothing was wrong. Inside of caliper has some shallow groves.
I am thinking the bearing loose???? causeing rotor wobble. then and caliper ceased then release.
WHAT DO I HAVE TO DO TO GET HER BACK ON THE ROAD?
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Rescue Tower
11,008 Posts
New calipers (2), new brake pads (2), new left rotor, inspect left bearing, inspect bearing seal. Clean old grease out and grease bearing.

Put your truck details in your signature line.

· 1ST GEN
11,549 Posts
Turn the second rotor or replace it.

· Registered
425 Posts
I think he was saying you could turn the rotor on right side but replace one on the left. But if i could afford it i would change both IMO.

· Rescue Tower
11,008 Posts
I think he was saying you could turn the rotor on right side but replace one on the left. But if i could afford it i would change both IMO.
That is correct. I assumed it was ok, but turning it is a very good practice. Replacement gets you the same end result. Go either way.

· 1ST GEN
11,549 Posts
The rule in doing brakes is to always do both sides at the same time.

I always have new rotors or drums turned true also. I have pulled to many new ones out of boxes and had front end shake after install.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.