Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I have a collapsed brake line. The truck stops fine but squeels at first when you go, like the caliper hasnt retrackeded all the way. Does anybody know what I could do to test this so I am not just throwin money at it?

·
Registered
124 Posts
sounds more like a seizing caliper piston to me....I would take the caliper off, and use a c-clamp and one of the brake pads (put the pad on the piston, DO NOT put the clamp directly on the piston) and try to compress the piston..it should be stiff but compress with no problem, if not then it is seizing and needs to be rebuilt or replaced.

Unless you actually crushed a brake line, like landing on a rock some bizarre way to hit a brakeline and crush it...if that were the case then quite possibly pushing the pedal down could force enough pressure through, but the caliper could not retract properly...

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
The rubber lines can go bad internally. When this happens it will cause the caliper to not release properly and this will in turn cause a pulling toward the side with bad hose when the brake pedal is RELEASED. A sticking piston in a caliper normally causes a pulling to the opposite side when brake pedal is PUSHED. This is because the sticking piston doesn't move as quickly as the properly operating one. Of course the sticking piston can also cause dragging of brakes as well since a piston is not retracting back into the bore properly. The pins in the caliper will mimic a bad hose since they will also cause dragging of the brakes on one side. Issues like this can be hard to exactly diagnose and this is one of the rare times I will go ahead and replace both calipers and hoses when these issues start. If it is the original hoses and calipers on a truck of this age, then replacing all would not be a waste of money as they will go bad and you know you have an issue since something is dragging.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts