Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long story short I got in the truck today and the left front brake kept dragging intermitenly then it just kept dragging the brake was smokeing it was so hot. Started limping the truck home and I stuck my head out the window to watch the tire and it kept moving in and out left to right, when it would move out it would stop grabbing when it moved it it was dragging the brake.

I took the tire off and it looking like the whole wheel is leaning in and the rotor even hit the caliper at one point. Sounds like the wheel bearing to me but I wanted to get some input from you guys on this.

·
Premium Member
1,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
no not at all, and when I was comeing down my driveway I had damn near no brakes.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I gotaa think the way you are then.
I ve seen our big truck breaks do that after being adjusted wrong, or having little or no oil on the bearing.

·
Premium Member
1,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Im going to pull the hub off tommorow and see if the bearing is the problem.

·
Registered
708 Posts
I had the same thing on my Ford and had to replace the whole hub, brakes, etc.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I vote wheel bearing, I replaced one on a buddy's truck that was so bad that it cut the ABS sensor wire-Nicholas

·
Registered
4,114 Posts
i vote hub too.

·
Premium Member
1,912 Posts
it is very easy if the hub when bad.. You can shake it and there it will whable. I have seen brake pads come apart too to have that happen. But most likely it is the hub.

·
Premium Member
1,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Im hopeing the hub isnt gone and that its just the bearings.

·
Registered
2,842 Posts
if its the unit bearing probably need to replace both sides. they are poorly designed. if you have to replace them you would be better off going with dynatrack. not going to be cheap either way

·
Registered
555 Posts
or just keep the wheel and tire bolt on the hub, jack the truck up under the problem side control arm and using a 12 and 6 position on the tires see if you can wobble the wheel back and forth? thats how i learned to check wheel bearings. or you could pull it and check :)

·
Premium Member
1,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Definetly not dropping 2k on hubs. looks like ebay wants about 240 bucks for a replacement, my unjoints commin off the hubs are absulutly shot as well.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts