Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Brake lights wont turn off ?

6269 10
Having an issue with my 90 w250.
As soon as I turn the key off regardless if my lights are on or off my brake lights saty on.
Any help on the matter would be helpful considering my battery is dead now.
The truck has an old trailer brake controller could it be wired wrong ? just got this truck and am having friends work on it since I am at work in another state.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
372 Posts
my truck seams to do the same thing about once a month.
if you go under the dash, there is the brake light switch mounted kinda on the steering column, it just gets pushed in. if you grab it and pull or push it back towards the brake pedal, the lights will go out

· Registered
2,023 Posts
its a square plastic switch that the brake pedal arm hits. the switch is on the dash side of the arm, directly acrossed from the rod that goes into the master cylender.

· Registered
427 Posts
It has a little red button that gets pushed in which turn on and off the brake lights. Take the little box and pull back towards the front of the car and zip tie into place. should be set afterwards. Why can't they just figure it out? haha, what would they do without us.

· Registered
79 Posts
This must happen to everybody with 1st gens . Mine does it every few weeks. I had to get myself in the habit of walking around to the back of my truck every time I park it and be sure they are off.

· Registered
79 Posts
It's odd how the few things that give people problems on our trucks happens to like every single 1st gen in the world at one time or another.

· Premium Member
2,153 Posts
It has a little red button that gets pushed in which turn on and off the brake lights. Take the little box and pull back towards the front of the car and zip tie into place. should be set afterwards. Why can't they just figure it out? haha, what would they do without us.
Yep - what he said!

When mine first acted up I got a replacement switch and put it in. They just push into place. Worked fine for a few months then started doing it again. I finally figured out that I was hitting the pedal with my right foot as I got out of the truck and that was causing the switch to back out of the holder. Tied it in with a cable tie and have not had a problem since. That was about 5 years ago.

Oh yea, this problem will also cause problems with the cruise control. It will start acting weird and increasing then decreasing speed. Will completely shut off as the problem gets worse, just like tapping the brake pedal.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.