Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your truck HERE to be a part of December's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am looking for a gooseneck trailer, brake controller or brake setup with ABS (Anti locking brakes).

In Norway, we have very strict laws about hauling and trailers.. "All" trailers are made for bumperpull with a 50mm ball, and automatic brakes.. That means that when the truck brakes, the "neck" of the trailer compresses and automaticly applys the brakes, proportional of how hard the truck brakes..

The problem is that the biggest trailer we can haul with this brake setup is max trailer weight 3500 kg ~ 7700 lbs. This is beacuse you have no way of controlling the brakes in long downhills.. The enginebrake is enough for the trailerneck to compress and apply the trailerbrakes.. This can result in overheated brakes..

Now, the law says that if the truck has ABS, the trailer need ABS too. Do any trailers or axles sold in the US come with ABS-sensors and controllers? It also needs another braking-setup.. Air-brakes are only allowed when the compressor is mechanically driven, like with a belt. No electric compressors are allowed..

Generally, electric brakes are not legal in Norway. However, some few campers (bumperpull) have been approved with electric brakes. I know of a few gooseneck trailers that are road legal in Norway. One of them had a G-sensor inside the truck cab that measured the braking-force and adjusted the trailer brakes..

As mentioned earlier, a few trailers have been approved and are road legal, but I dont think that is possible anymore..

This truck and trailer is for sale in Norway for 600000 NOK ~ 105000 USD!! As you probably understand, the few trailers are very expensive...

Thanks for any input..

Best regards, Øystein grønås

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
the maxbrake and the smartbrake do exactly what you want. they are the only two on the market that does and make the others look like junk toys. these even work better than your current system and work on all trailer sizes and weights and many times safer than other controllers.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply.. I found the maxbrake and I have actually looked at it earlier, but I could not find any specs on it.. It does not say anything about ABS? The trailer needs ABS-sensors on all wheels as well...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts