Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK guys, its nothing crazy but I really wanted some opinions and advice so I had to make the title appealing. I just bought a 2003 Quad long bed 5 speed with 79K on the clock from a dealer. When I bought the truck everything pointed to the fact that this truck was stock, minus the stacks. There were no monitoring gauges in the truck at all. No intake or elbow, stock turbo and manifold. Clutch seems to feel like a stocker too. On the test drive it didnt seem overly powerful and no smoke out the stacks either. I bought it and brought it home, lifted up the back seat and bamn!! There sits a bullydog triple dog power pup. My first thought was COOL, quickly followed by CRAP! Did this guy run a programmer without any gauges? Then I thought maybe he ran the outlook and took it out, but why would he do that and leave the programmer, also, there is no hole drilled and tapped in the manifold for the pyro. I am hoping maybe he just ran this thing in tow mode and thats it...... What do you guys think about this, did I buy a time bomb? Would you guys feel comfortable running this thing on any more than tow mode without any gauges if even that? Also, would you lean towards getting the outlook, or some actual gauges. One more thing, how did I miss the boat on the 03 trucks having a 5 speed as an option?

·
Registered
322 Posts
from what i know abt bullydog they make SAFE chips. which in theory means they are designed to either defuel to keep the truck cool on egts or they just dont fuel that hard. i would slap it in there and let her rip. most of bullydogs stuff is overpriced and under powered in my opinion.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
from what i know abt bullydog they make SAFE chips. which in theory means they are designed to either defuel to keep the truck cool on egts or they just dont fuel that hard. i would slap it in there and let her rip. most of bullydogs stuff is overpriced and under powered in my opinion.
I have read some stuff that leads me to think the same, I dont think I would buy a BD, but this one was free....... well kind of free..... Anyway, I know most guys on here are SMARTY fans and thats what I was planning on buying I just dont know if I can run this programmer without any of the supporting mods the truck needs. The only upgrade I know of is the 4" exhaust and stacks.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
in my mind the bullydog is a grat programmer for a stock or close to stock truck. the bullydog will only defuel if you have an outlook monitor to tell it to. Also you have an 03 which the bullydog didnt really work wonders for. my dad is running one on his 03 and yes it made a big difference but nothing compared to what it did for my 04.5. I cant get my dads truck to 1400 degrees if i try. i would say your new truck is going to be just fine and wasnt run too hard. If i were you i would sell the bullydog and put that money towards a smarty which actually does wonders for the earlier CR's. welcome to the forum and let the addiction begin.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
in my mind the bullydog is a grat programmer for a stock or close to stock truck. the bullydog will only defuel if you have an outlook monitor to tell it to. Also you have an 03 which the bullydog didnt really work wonders for. my dad is running one on his 03 and yes it made a big difference but nothing compared to what it did for my 04.5. I cant get my dads truck to 1400 degrees if i try. i would say your new truck is going to be just fine and wasnt run too hard. If i were you i would sell the bullydog and put that money towards a smarty which actually does wonders for the earlier CR's. welcome to the forum and let the addiction begin.
Thanks for the welcome and I am sure the addiction will set in, it has with every other motorized endeavor I have taken on. So the general feeling I am getting based on 85 views to two comments is the rest of you guys agree with these two fellas and think I can run this bullydog tuner on any setting, even the extreme setting ( a claimed 110 hp) without any other supporting mods?

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
I ran one on my truck back when the only mod i had done (engine mod anyway) was a BHAF and i had gauges. On the extreme setting I could push it all the way to the floor and hold it there and it never went over 1100-1150 degrees. "extreme" is a bit of an over-statement in my opinion. If you're worried about it pull your down pipe and look at the turbine wheel blades on your turbo, if the ends and corners are nice and sharp, no worries. If they have rounded corners or any sign of the blade material "migrating" toward the outside edges it's a sign that it's seen excessive EGT's in the past.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
i would want to make sure they dont kill ur warranty, might be ok but still the trucks new to you

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I ran one on my truck back when the only mod i had done (engine mod anyway) was a BHAF and i had gauges. On the extreme setting I could push it all the way to the floor and hold it there and it never went over 1100-1150 degrees. "extreme" is a bit of an over-statement in my opinion. If you're worried about it pull your down pipe and look at the turbine wheel blades on your turbo, if the ends and corners are nice and sharp, no worries. If they have rounded corners or any sign of the blade material "migrating" toward the outside edges it's a sign that it's seen excessive EGT's in the past.
Ok, well that makes me feel better, I may pull the Down pipe just for grins and take a peek. Its really not a huge deal I guess because I was going to install some gauges anyway for the real plans I have for the truck so I guess its a moot point. I will most likely sell the BD at some point once I pony up the cash to get the truck to the 400-450 range where I would like it to end up. Thanks guys...

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
OK guys, its nothing crazy but I really wanted some opinions and advice so I had to make the title appealing. I just bought a 2003 Quad long bed 5 speed with 79K on the clock from a dealer. When I bought the truck everything pointed to the fact that this truck was stock, minus the stacks. There were no monitoring gauges in the truck at all. No intake or elbow, stock turbo and manifold. Clutch seems to feel like a stocker too. On the test drive it didnt seem overly powerful and no smoke out the stacks either. I bought it and brought it home, lifted up the back seat and bamn!! There sits a bullydog triple dog power pup. My first thought was COOL, quickly followed by CRAP! Did this guy run a programmer without any gauges? Then I thought maybe he ran the outlook and took it out, but why would he do that and leave the programmer, also, there is no hole drilled and tapped in the manifold for the pyro. I am hoping maybe he just ran this thing in tow mode and thats it...... What do you guys think about this, did I buy a time bomb? Would you guys feel comfortable running this thing on any more than tow mode without any gauges if even that? Also, would you lean towards getting the outlook, or some actual gauges. One more thing, how did I miss the boat on the 03 trucks having a 5 speed as an option?
^^^
That did not make you raise an eyebrow?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
^^^
That did not make you raise an eyebrow?
Yes it certainley did make me suspicious, which is why I looked over the rest of the truck in search of some other sort of mods to which I found none. I guess I wrote it off to a guy who like loud S#%& as he also had 2 gauge wire running into the cab where he must have had a stereo system of some kind.

·
Registered
575 Posts
bullydog is raw power it may cut off on high EGTS but so does my EDGE .. from what i heard bullydog is for insane power gains.. so prolly not good on stock tranny IMO..

1 - 13 of 13 Posts