Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 2018 Ram 2500 Longhorn Edition with 140,000 miles. One owner (commercial) with impeccable service records. Truck was purchased in West Texas, but it looks like they used it as a tow vehicle so it’s probably spent time in all 4 seasons. It has the 68RFE transmission.

My question is should I do anything preventative right now to help “bullet proof” the truck considering the high miles? I’ve included a pick of the engine compartment.

Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
13,969 Posts
That egr crossover pipe looks awfully shiny new, so have the emissions been fooled with on it?

You say it's had good service done, does that include trans fluid and gear lube changes?

Hope it was cheap, any warranty given on it?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That egr crossover pipe looks awfully shiny new, so have the emissions been fooled with on it?

You say it's had good service done, does that include trans fluid and gear lube changes?

Hope it was cheap, any warranty given on it?
The service records say that the EGR was serviced at 68,000 miles but doesn’t provide more detail than that. I paid $26,000 and purchased a 5/100k extended warranty. My biggest concern is around the emissions components because the warranty doesn’t cover it. So I’m thinking it might be worth making some preventative repairs up front to avoid potential headaches while on the road. Thoughts?

·
Registered
550 Posts
Please post pics of the exhaust and underside of your new truck.

·
Registered
5,681 Posts
preventative maintenance would be deleting

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Yeah I’m actually considering that. Which kit do you recommend?
Find a tuner with some reasearch that you think you would like. Talk to them. Order your new tune package and get yourself a delete pipe. Or chunk of 4” with some clamps and if you want a collector flange to weld to the delete pipe.

Egr components can stay on the motor but if you want it clean under the hood then order a cheap
Egr delete kit from eBay or Amazon.

·
Registered
13,969 Posts
Yeah I’m actually considering that. Which kit do you recommend?
Deleting and tuning would void that new warranty you just paid for.

How will you use the truck?

If you keep using it as it has been, then the emissions will probably hold up without too much issue, mine is still going strong at 523K.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts

If you keep using it as it has been, then the emissions will probably hold up without too much issue, mine is still going strong at 523K.
You haven’t had any emission issues whatsoever?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Very good point. I own a RV rental business and will be using it mainly for delivering travel trailers. I’ll also be using it for a few long trips per year towing our travel trailer. Nothing crazy or off road.

·
Registered
13,969 Posts
You haven’t had any emission issues whatsoever?
Nothing major, a NOx sensor, a DPF differential pressure sensor, SCR cat replaced under recall.

And, never had the EGR serviced.

·
Registered
13,969 Posts
I just got it, so I don’t know what issues the previous owner had other than they had the EGR serviced at 60k miles.
EGR service isn't required on 13+ DEF trucks, dealer cons lots of owners into doing that, it's a big money maker for the service dept.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
I just got it, so I don’t know what issues the previous owner had other than they had the EGR serviced at 60k miles.
Question was for the poster I quoted.

But if your working your truck, then his advice to leave it alone isn’t all that terrible. I’m deleting more or less because my truck tows heavy when it does, but that’s very little. I’ll put the good equipment on the shelf for when I need it. And it seems like a good choice because I keep seeing threads about “seeing the dealer”, popping up everywhere. On top of that I don’t particularly like how the trans shifts. That was one of my main reasons for the decision. Plus I miss the smell of diesel lol

·
Registered
278 Posts
EGR valve is unplugged in that picture from the looks of it. That is on the driver side on top of the intake horn.

You probably have some tuning on there already if you aren't throwing codes.

·
PA Cummins
91 Posts
Not understanding the warranty? You are at 140,000 miles, beyond the 100,000 mile mark!
Is it an aftermarket warranty?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Not understanding the warranty? You are at 140,000 miles, beyond the 100,000 mile mark!
Is it an aftermarket warranty?
Yes. It’s an aftermarket extended warranty. Only covers major components, minus emissions. Will take me to 240,000 miles over 5 years.

·
Registered
94 Posts
that truck appears to have been delete previously, or still deleted. EGR valved looks unplugged and the crossover pipe dont look like it has same amount of miles on it as rest of engine as well the cover for it is missing.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts