Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys im kinda new to the cummins thing and i just got a 95 12v to start bulding up and it has 261,000 miles do you guys think that i well need to rebuild the bottom end when i tear into it?? Also it already has 50 horse injectors and a #5 fuel plate and tips for me?

·
Premium Member
395 Posts
Short answer No

Long answer comes after you tell us what you want to do with it.

KO

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I want to get a bigger turbo for it a i see that ATS makes a new replacement head for it so ill do that and put studs in it. I just want to replace a few things and start racing it i dont know where to start

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
And since im on this site i have been reading about guys tuning the injection pump and taking out there fuel plate so i might do that as well but i want gauges first

·
Premium Member
395 Posts
Unless you are going for a 5k RPM turnin' Truck puller or you have bad oil pressure or knocking.....
You'll be fine.
Get your gauges and get some baselines before going any farther.

KO

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok cool thanks any tips about that injection pump do you just take the fuel plate out or do you need to do a few other things first?

·
Premium Member
395 Posts
I like to tune with my fuel plate, I tow alot so running no plate isn't an option for me.

Someone else will post about it I'm sure, shortly.

KO

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok thanks for the info

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
Whats done to your trans and is it auto or manual, if its still stock you should at the least get a convertor and vb and then add more power, being that it already has injectors and a 5 plate it may have already been upgraded or youve just been lucky

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Its a stick and the guy i got it from put a clutch in it but i dont know what kind

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
Well hopefully he put a good one in it, can you make it slip, if not your probably good. I do agree with KIOHIO tune it with a plate you will be much happier in the long run. I have been reading post on here for quite sometime now and have found more people that tune with a preshaped plate or people that have custom ground there own plates
( wish I was That good and undestood all the ins and outs ) and some that have even went back to a plate after not having one at all. Its all in what you want outta the truck

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yea i cant make it slip now waht plate is better 5 or 100 i thought thta the lower the number the more flow you had?

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
Yea I thought that too at first lol a 5 is like right in the middle between stock and a 0 imo. A 10 is like a step up from stock and a #0 is the hardest fueling plate available, pretty much no plate. A 100 is a combo of a 10 and 100, it has a ramp at the bottom so your not dumping all the fuel you can but that dives up like a 0 when wide open throtle.
hers a link with plate profiles and you will see what I mean 12 Valve AFC Mod's - New England Turbo Diesel Power

·
Premium Member
395 Posts
To an extent yes.....
BUT if put in the stock position the 5 is a stronger fueling plate (at a certain RPM) than the 10/100 or 0.
Depending on how it's cut.
The numbers have to be taken as just that ...numbers, that designate a plate.
The other problem is some have come up with there own numbers.
When you slide the plates all the way forward then you aren't limited so much by the actual profile of the plate.
A #10 slid approx 1/32nd of an inch forward at the maximum depth of a #5 fuel about the same but the #5 will vary with RPM.
The problem with that now famous picture, which BTW is a great tool, is a bit flawed.
It does show the front edge of the mounting plate.

Most do stick with a 10, 100 or 0 I think because they are easy to cut yourself LOL.
They are also quite effective.

Goto fleabay and type in "Cummins torque plate"
There is a seller called t72dawg that sells the plates cheap and they are very good.
He has all the numbers LOL

KO

·
3,998 Posts
well buy the clutch first, if your already able to slip it your about to be in the market for one:banghead:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts