Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone here have any experience with mods to these pumps?

The PODs I put in last year make that thing run like a raped ape but it smokes like a freight train until boost builds enough to burn that extra fuel. The smoke adjustment instructions I've read seem to be bass ackwards as they say less tension on the spring will make less smoke? This just doesn't seem correct to me as less spring tension means it will take LESS boost to make it dump more fuel? I'd think I would need MORE spring pressure in order to limit fuel dump at low boost?

Anyone have any real life experience on this?

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
You use the starwheel to put pre-tension on the AFC spring.

When it's all the way down, the spring is under lots of tension from the starwheel, so that tension is not against the fuel cone. So the fuel cone goes down easier.

With the starwheel all the way up, there is less pre-tension on the spring, meaning that the spring puts more tension against the fuel cone.

The leanest AFC controls would have the smoke screw all the way up, the starwheel all the way up and the fuel cone at the least offset.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your reply!

OK so how much and which direction to start with on the star wheel? Like 1 click, 10 clicks, etc.

I'm making right at 30psig boost now but it's not coming in soon enough to kill off the smoke.

I was going to a 14 housing but was advised that it would be too small for the PODs. Right now EGTs aren't a problem, even on a long pull loaded in 4th @30psig boost.

Keep in mind that in all this stuff I try not to do anything that would sacrifice reliability as I use this truck for the sole puropse of towing the race car trailer. I got a race car but don't need a race truck to pull it with. ;-)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts