Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,915 Posts
JMHO but, don't waste your time. The folks at Cummins figured out what the best bore/stroke ratio is long before they built the first engine.

The inexpensive mods available on the 12 valve are about the best you can expect from it.

·
SC Chapter President
1,288 Posts
I agree!! Don't bore it unless the cylinder walls are scarred up really bad. Leave perfection alone!!!!

·
Registered
963 Posts
I have been involved with quite a few unites that had to be bored due to damaged bores and they would always sleeve the hole and bore it back to STD. Warranty would give us a new block or a long block. PLAY SAFE!

·
Registered
72 Posts
where would you find some wet sleeves for a 12v? i thought wet sleeves are only for commercial applications? has any body done that with their 12v.

·
Registered
963 Posts
When they sleeve the block it is a dry sleeve, they bore it out then push in sleeve bore to STD then machine the fire deck. I don't know of anybody that even makes an over-sized piston and rings. A 5.9 is a dry block, no wet liner version that I have ever seen. It is the same thing that is done in 906 Mercedes, 3126 Cat's, and 366 Mercedes. PLAY SAFE!

·
Registered
10,782 Posts
Cummins sells oversized pistons/rings for the 5.9...

pistons are available in .5mm and 1mm oversize.

Bearings are available right from .25mm-1mm oversized!

You wont gain anything from the extra couple cubic inches... if anything you could look at it as being a drawback since you have a heavier rotating assembly (bigger piston!)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts