Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was wondering how you guys leave the line in 4wd and not break anything, it has to be hard on the parts doesnt it?

·
06 Cummins
2,906 Posts
also wondering the same thing.. have never launched 4wd at the track yet only on the street... but i know the strip has alot more traction

·
Rescue Tower
10,826 Posts
Yes it is hard on parts, really hard on parts. That's why you see so many conversations about transmissions, traction bars, front ends... it goes on and on. This falls squarely within the "pay to play" arena.

·
06 Cummins
2,906 Posts
cause it doesnt need to be for a stock cummins... they dont think about us guys who mod our CTD's

·
Rescue Tower
10,826 Posts
well then why cant they make the tranny that strong?:confused013:
Well look at what a transfer case does vs. what a transmission does. You are expecting that transmission to transfer 600 hp and 1000 ft/lbs of torque while shifting gears. Not to mention fluid cooling. OEM is designed for something complexly different than what a lot of us on this forum want. If the OEM built to our needs then you could safely tack on another 5k to the price tag, and lets face it. If they did that those that could afford that difference would again mod beyond some other drivetrain component's capability.

·
Registered
99 Posts
because a 4500 allison would weigh half what the truck does

·
Registered
5,963 Posts
A boosted launch is hardest on your output shaft. If you plan on drag racing and doing this then I suggest getting a billet shaft. I think a standard aftermarket trans comes with a billet input but the output is optional because you really don't need it under normal driving conditions. The output shaft runs around $800 I think!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
1,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i was just wondering about the t-case mainly and ujoints and such. i finally found a guy that wants to swap my 6spd for his auto so im trying to get all the info i can. the tranny will be sent off and gone completey through, im just trying to decide if i want to use suncoast or goerend.

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
i was just wondering about the t-case mainly and ujoints and such. i finally found a guy that wants to swap my 6spd for his auto so im trying to get all the info i can. the tranny will be sent off and gone completey through, im just trying to decide if i want to use suncoast or goerend.

Georend has his following but, there are others that build as good if not better.....

Garmons Diesel Performance Home

The intermediate shaft is the biggest concern when doing boosted launching in 4x. If you're going in to replace the input, it's a good idea to do the intermediate while in there. If you're not going to be doing a lot of boosted take offs in 4x, it's not as big a concern

·
Registered
46 Posts
boosted launches in a cummins are like a paul bunyun size banhammer sending you down the strip matchbox car style :shock::hehe:

·
Registered
756 Posts
The intermediate shaft is the biggest concern when doing boosted launching in 4x. If you're going in to replace the input, it's a good idea to do the intermediate while in there. If you're not going to be doing a lot of boosted take offs in 4x, it's not as big a concern

:ditto::ditto:

·
Premium Member
1,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
it wont be a track only truck, but boosted launches may occur frequently ya know. i just dont want to go to the track with the 37s and rip the drive train out from under my truck, but it looks like i should be fine if i do everything right the first time.

·
Registered
8,732 Posts
boosted launches in a cummins are like a paul bunyun size banhammer sending you down the strip matchbox car style :shock::hehe:
dude I don't know how you came up with that but its absolutely hilarious I think hahahahahaha guys at the garage are laughin too:hehe::hehe:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts