Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well i just installed a boost guage and to my suprise im only hittin 15-16 pounds of boost w.o.t 50-60 ? 14 from stand still then once i hit 50 it will clime to about 15 to 16

·
Premium Member
1,327 Posts
Sounds like a air leak...
I was running those numbers before I even swapped intake filters.

Check to be sure your throttle is opening ALL the way...Mine wasn't when I started
'playing' with it. At that time I could only get ~ 12 psi..Once I adjusted up the throttle linkage I was hitting ~ 18 psi from stop.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
how would i check for an air leak ?? not like i can hear it lol the engine runs great no rought idle or anything

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
Air leak could be on your intercooler somewhere, or it could (more likely) be due to a botched boost gauge installation. :w:

Do you have a 21 cm housing? That ain't gonna give you much, I wouldn't be too suprised if it only pulled 16 PSI with the mild mods you've done.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yup shes got the stock housing and what do u mean botched boost gauge installation??

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
I mean that I would suspect a leak in one of your fittings, if I were to suspect a leak anywhere.

Other locations would be the intercooler boots, or the intercooler itself.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
alright ill check evrytihng but it doesnt seem to run any diff since i installed it but im postiitve its got the 21cm on it so i bet thats my prob

·
Registered
253 Posts
i had a 21cm and i could hit 22psi with a turn on the full power screw, check your intercooler pipe boots, all the connections of your boost gauge, and possibly pressurize your intercooler to check for leaks

·
Registered
92 Posts
have you got the plastic rod ends or the metal rod ends on your throttle linkage? if you have the plastic you may not be getting full throttle travel

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
On my big 3406 cat I just found the whole bottom of my intercooler is busted off. That leaks plenty. Get a 3 inch Furnco, or 4 inch, what ever size your turbo intake is from a hardware store and a big schedule 40 plug for the end. Drill the plug and thread a piece of 1/4 pipe in to it. I then put a air regulator off from a paint gun on it. Take off your intake from your turbo and slide on the furnco. Add air ( only 15 pounds ) and check for leaks. Hot soapy water in a windex bottle works good. Look for bubbles.

·
Banned
624 Posts
I bet the I/C is bad. Was that truck originally from NY? If so, the I/C is rotted out.
I had 16 psi of boost with a 16cm housing. I didn't think anything of it until I hooked up the trailer and pulled the tractor on it. The EGT's went thru the roof! I knew what the problem was instantly. :CRY:

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i honetly dont no if its from from ny the guy who owned it befor me suposedly used it to pull his 5th wheel camper to florida and back in the winter

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i checked all the rubber boots and there find tighend them all about 1/4 of a turn checked the boost guage plumbing for leaks and nothing

·
Registered
253 Posts
ptoombs is right, I'd take that intercooler to a radiator shop or something and have them test it for leaks, or rig something up yourself with a paint gun pressure regulator.

·
Registered
661 Posts
im not saying you guys are wrong but with my old 18.5 cm housing and the fuel screw in 3/4 i was only hiting around 18 pounds and i was trying hard!

·
Banned
624 Posts
I'm not saying I'm right either, but when I put in my new I/C I had 22-24 psi.
No other changes. :beer

1 - 16 of 16 Posts