Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
If you want to be safe, nothing over 40, 45 is about the limit. Some have pushed more with no problems but most gaskets won't hold with no studs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
vvv SOME PEOPLE'S KIDS vvv
11,105 Posts
Yea much lower on the 24v 98-02's when comparing the 03-07's.

I'm gonna keep mine to maybe 40psi

·
Registered
3,978 Posts
id say 40-45

you dont need a new gasket, unless its blown

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well getting new headgasket and studs thinking of complete rebuild while im at it. Just depends how quick it the head gasket worsens. No coolant in oil so good for a lil while longer

Sent from my MB860 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Mopar1973Man.Com
26,259 Posts
head gasket time. and boost does not blow head gaskets!
Boost does play a role but coolant age has a role as well in weakening the gasket so it can't withstand the boost pressure any longer. As coolant age it will be come corrosive and weaken the gasket anywhere the coolant touches it. That why some say 40-45 PSI and other have done 50-60 PSI on stock head bolts. It all in how you care for the truck.

·
Registered
6,991 Posts
head gasket time. and boost does not blow head gaskets!
Correct! CPs blow head gaskets! boost at 40psi or CPs at 1000s psi??? CPs win! I would bet you could push 60psi all day as long as you ran no additional timing, but maybe not though :hehe: . Higher boost/DP numbers will contribute to higher CPs though. boost is like the symptom you can see but CPs are the real problem.

·
Registered
13,895 Posts
Boost does play a role but coolant age has a role as well in weakening the gasket so it can't withstand the boost pressure any longer. As coolant age it will be come corrosive and weaken the gasket anywhere the coolant touches it. That why some say 40-45 PSI and other have done 50-60 PSI on stock head bolts. It all in how you care for the truck.
i agree with you it does play a role. the cylinder pressure makes a much greater impact than the boost pressure. timing has a larger role in cylinder pressure than boost pressure and that is where i believe most of these issues rise from. i am getting ready to do my head gasket and i was not having any problems until i installed a smarty. im not blaming the smarty but the extra timing and the small exhaust housing is a bad mix on my truck.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts