Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Boost questions?

1147 Views 12 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  ShortRed2000
Just got a quick question for yall. what is the normal boost for 06's. my old 05 before i put my edge on i would see 28-30 but i just installed my gauges on my 06 and it seems like i can barely get 25 and when i do it drops right away to about 22? all the connections are tight and i have no leaks anywhere so is this normal or is there something else wrong? or should i maybe just get a boost fooler for now until i can afford a smarty? any help is appreciated thanks:confused013:
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
any ideas on why it might be so low then? i did also take the silencer ring out but that should not affect it should it?

· Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
could it be also that the guy i had install my boost gauge tapped the top of my intake horn for the probe? i thought that was a weird place for it but he said he has put it there on several trucks and never had a problem with em? i just have not had time to install them so i let this guy do it,

· Registered
643 Posts
No that isn't it, that is where a lot of people usually do it and a lot of the aftermarket horns come with holes already tapped or ready to be just for that reason. Are your gauges mechanical or electric, and what brand? That is where you would want it though because on the manifold could generate different readings at different cylinders and such, and you want to know what the boost is as close to the intake as possible. Sounds like you may have a leak, or maybe someone else can chime in, is it the '06 models that have the plastic capped intercoolers? Good place to look if it does!

· Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the 05 has the plastic capped intercoolers and i had the guy check it for leaks and we had none. the gauges are glowshift. and this may be a dumb question but how do i tell if they are mechanical or electric?

· Registered
643 Posts
I'm not 100% sure on the electric, but I think they use a sending unit where as a mechanical just has a small nylon hose tapped into the port that will run all the way into the back of the gauge. Ok, just looked at glowshift's website, they have either option. You should be able to look where it was tapped, it there a sensor there with wires or a nylon hose? No such thing as a dumb question, one of ignorance but none are dumb, we are all here to help and learn.

· Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
boost has a nylon hose that plugs into where its tapped to the intake horn and that runs to the back of the gauge and then there is a set of four wires i assuming those are for the dimming options and the seven colors

· Registered
147 Posts
the 05 has the plastic capped intercoolers and i had the guy check it for leaks and we had none. the gauges are glowshift. and this may be a dumb question but how do i tell if they are mechanical or electric?
boost gauge is mechanical normally. I got a boost fooler for my truck. the waist gate is opening causing the boost to drop down.... My truck's boost will hit 30psi for a split second then drop to 22 psi.

· Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
is the boost fooler the fix for it or can i do something with my wastegate so it does not open so quick?

· Registered
147 Posts
is the boost fooler the fix for it or can i do something with my wastegate so it does not open so quick?
Well I may get chewed out for this but to do a little test you can vise grip the actuator hose closed. then take it for a drive and see how it reacts to the waist gate not opening. Once your done with your ride take it off and if you like it get a boost fooler..

· DELETE YOUR TURBO!!!!!
3,160 Posts
i pushing 44 psi with my wast gate pinched closed on my HE351 with out a boost fooler it will throw codes for over boost on your truck just an fyi.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.