Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do you tell if you have low boost pressure? I was told a fuel issue I seem to be having is that. It's not up on the governor and is very sluggish. Any ideas on sensors or modules to troubleshoot?

·
Registered
435 Posts
Do you have a boost gauge and if so what are the numbers your seeing?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No boost gauge or any gauges at all. I'm not into all the programmers or billy bolt on stuff. For the size of trailer I pull (36' enclosed gooseneck) it works fine. If I were to put all bolt on stuff on it that would give more to worry about. There's a good diesel shop close by to take it to their closed today though. So I was looking for ideas from some diesel owners or mechanics. I'm new to diesels so it's frustrating when you can't diagnose it like a gasser.

BTW:
05' cr 5.9 Crew cab long bed 3500
100% stock

·
Registered
937 Posts
Gauges are a good investment regardless of if you have tuners or not.

In the mean time check all your plumbing from the intake > turbo > intercooler > intake horn...check all hose clamps and connections for leaks.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks geezir and cummins hd. I agree to a point on the gauges being needed. I wouldn't know what I'm looking at anyway, I'm sure it would explain though. As far as checking all the stuff you told me ive done that so far everything seems to be tight. I happend to catch a diesel mech and he got time to look at it wednesday so I'll wait till then. Hopefully it won't hurt to much on the truck or pocket. Geezir, what do you recommend on gauges?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok, I'm sold on the gauges. If I were to get them, which ones would be of more need? Also cummins hd, auto meter says the mechanical meters are temporary only. With that being said, now what? Will I have to get a post mount for them?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Well get a boost gauge for sure if u think theres an issue, most other guys run pyrometers which is your exhaust gas temp or egt or transfer pump fuel pressure I have all 3 and a oil pressure gauge because my stock gauge broke, I just bought my gauges and pillar pods from autometer so I would think u can get them, auto meter makes the pod mounts to

Sent from my SGH-T959D using AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
119 Posts
I run mechanical there a lot more simple too hook up, the pyro is electrical but everything else is mechanical bit I do have oil and fuel running to the cab gauges so yull pay more for the elec but theres no risk of leaking fluids in the cab, I havent had an issue with mine at all I love em

Sent from my SGH-T959D using AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
937 Posts
I've got Autometer Phantoms in my truck (specifically Boost, Pyrometer, and Trans Temp).

As for what gauges you should get, Boost is always a good idea IMO for ANY vehicle with a turbo, Pyrometer to make sure things aren't getting too hot for your turbo (especially since you do tow), third option is a toss up...oil pressure, fuel pressure, and trans temperature are all a good option (just an FYI the in dash oil pressure gauge is basically a dummy gauge which displays a calculated pressure by the ECM based on engine temp and RPM...NOT a true reading which is why alot of guys install an aftermarket oil pressure).

For me I put the trans temp in the third spot becuase of my snowplowing and towing with my automatic transmission...but I am tossing around the idea of throwing in a dual overhead pod with oil pressure and fuel pressure in it.

The more you're able to monitor the easier it is for you to pin point issues and prevent huge repair bills.

Reactions: Lostrider
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.