Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
915 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed an auto meter boost gauge in my truck and once the needle gets past around 18psi it starts fluttering or shaking until I hit peak boost just over 30psi. Is this flutter or shake normal or do I have a problem? Could I have a slight air leek in the air hose? Or could my turbo be fluttering? Any thoughts would be great.

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
Mine didn't do that for the first few months I had it, but now it does it a lot.

I guess it's normal... A lot of guys use a buffer...

·
Registered
235 Posts
yea, I agree with stabler

·
Premium Member
1,327 Posts
Boost is not really steady at any pressure except fullboost for a short time - too many variables.
You should see my digital gauge - tenths bounce all over. Sometimes, on rolling hills, the numbers will change by 1 or 2 from the downhill to the uphill.
That's why they make liquid filled qauges...
Stops the flutter dead in it's tracks...

·
First Generation Moderator
2,170 Posts
No. It's not normal.

Liquid filled boost gauge? I don't know of any, but I haven't seen it all. A boost gauge buffer???????? What in the world is that? Who uses them????

I have never, in all my many years of working of diesels, seen a boost gauge flutter.

There is a fellow from Northern Ohio that found his head gasket blown when his gauge began to flutter, when all the time prior, it did not.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but it's not supposed to flutter. I personally have never seen that, but I cannot say which ones are/were Autometer units. I don't use them myself, in my trucks, and don't personally know anyone who does.

My boost gauges (in my trucks) are steady like a rock and same in the vehicles (Dodge Ram) trucks I drive time to time.

To repeat the above....it sounds a little wierd to me .....too!

·
Registered
311 Posts
Mine doesn't flutter. Some one told me when I got my gauges (Auto Meter) that Auto Meter gauges used to be known for this problem though.

Chris

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
Liquid filled boost gauge? I don't know of any, but I haven't seen it all. A boost gauge buffer???????? What in the world is that? Who uses them????
"Snubber". I meant to say snubber, not "buffer".

There are plenty of liquid-filled pressure gauges around that could be pressed into boost gauge duty, I've never seen one marketed as such though. I've also never seen one without a glass face that would be wonderful to get in to your eyes in an accident.

A liquid-filled gauge would fix the problem. I think that boost does fluctuate in reality, it's just that most gauges have a better built-in snubber affect to stablize them out.

·
Registered
915 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm not ruling out install error's I know I put the line into the head properly, but I'm not sure about the line into the back of the gauge, the fitting might not be tight enough, and luckily for me it is incredibly hard to get to the way I have it mounted. Under normal driving when the boost rarely gets above 10-15 psi I don't seem to notice it, its when I stand on it that it acts up.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts