·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
good or bad for the turbo on a towing situation

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
It will lower your EGT's a bit....so...good! You are giving it more air.

·
Registered
402 Posts
will i notice any power with one mods in my sig a guy from alligator said not at all it needs a tuner for it to work can u guys help

·
Hide your cats!
5,100 Posts
For a stock truck not much will be seen. Maybe a little cooler egts. Add a tuner and you well see more boost but with added fuel egts will be higher. The only reason I use one is so I don't set a over boost code. There cheap so it's one of those Ill give it a shot and it's kinda a supporting mod.

·
Registered
285 Posts

Heres a good vid about em. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
how do you like your bully dog PMT?
I like it! Nothing crazy but it does the trick! Add a pressure box, then it gets a little crazy...i keep mine off; most of the time.

·
Registered
488 Posts
do not add a fooler with a programmer... go smarty all the way... has its own fooler...

·
Hide your cats!
5,100 Posts
That's still only going to get you to 44 psi. After that the fooler is a must.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
you guys are way off base on the 05 and 07 trucks. the solenoid on the turbo charger does not work like you think and the boost fooler nor programmer can do anything to increase boost.the he351 is very inefficient above 35 psi and life is drastically shortened above this also. the dual wastegate pressure is for emissions control i think smarty keeps 12 volts applied to the solenoid. here is what we do read the following. when 12 volts is applied to the solenoid it opens up a port and bleeds some of the air back into the volute increasing the waste gate opening from 20 psi to 30 psi. remove the three o rings to prevent damaging them and cut the solenoid into about 7/8 inch above the base that mates to the turbo next cut the square part where the wrench go's deeper to make it easier to tighten up. i cut some more of the outer barrel off for looks but you do not have to. next remove any parts left in the center tube, you will be able to see all the way through the tube. tap the tube with a 1/8 in. npt. and install a 1/8 pipe plug. replace the o rings and install see pix. The solenoid is 11 ohms. The largest resistor used to date to fool the ecm is 147 ohms

·
Hide your cats!
5,100 Posts
Funny thing happens when I load a tune with more fuel. I get more boost. So a programmer will increase boost on a 351. A boost fooler just stops a cel.

·
Premium Member
15,615 Posts
do not add a fooler with a programmer... go smarty all the way... has its own fooler...
Smarty doesn't boost fool, it just remaps the boost tables to the limit of the MAP sensor.

you guys are way off base on the 05 and 07 trucks. the solenoid on the turbo charger does not work like you think and the boost fooler nor programmer can do anything to increase boost.the he351 is very inefficient above 35 psi and life is drastically shortened above this also. the dual wastegate pressure is for emissions control i think smarty keeps 12 volts applied to the solenoid.
No, the WG, controller, and boost doesn't work like you think. The operation description is detailed in the FSM.

The WG controller is a 5 volt PWM circuit. At 5 volts the controller is closed and no boost is applied to the WG actuator. At 0 volts the controller applies full boost to the WG actuator. The WG controller is a seperate circuit from over boost and MAP tables. It runs on a preset of about 32 psi as max boost. When the ECU sees the preset it alters the PWM signal to the solenoid to apply boost pressure to the actuator. Its a constantly adjusted signal to the controller to maintain boost and not have massive swings when the WG opens and closes.

Smarty doesn't change how the circuit operates, it just modifies the WG controller in the ECU by either shutting it off or setting the max pressure to a value that will never be seen. A boost fooler never lets the signal from the MAP get over about 28 psi so the over boost code never gets hit nor does the WG controller see a vaue it thinks needs to be dropped.

The HE351 is perfectly happy at 35 psi and short runs to 40 psi. Boost will generally limit to about 38-40 psi due to the DP induce on the 04.5+ engines unless there is adequate fuel to overcome the DP. I have over 150k on a boost fooled system with an without extra fuel. The turbo sees 32-35 psi on a daily basis with no issues.

The big non-no with high boost is do NOT dump the throttle quickly with high boost or it will eventually take the bearings out in the turbo due the stresses.

·
Registered
488 Posts
i would just get a smarty and be done with it... fool or no fool... why bother? be safe and get a smarty sw7 with timing right?

·
Premium Member
15,615 Posts
i would just get a smarty and be done with it... fool or no fool... why bother? be safe and get a smarty sw7 with timing right?
That is not what the OP is asking. He is asking about a boost fooler not a Smarty.

As for towing with a Smarty on SW7, not the safest choice.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
if you read the info on the solenoid it clearly states the reason for the lower pressure is to reduce the oxygen to match the fuel to limit the production of NO and at 0 volts the boost is limited to 20 psi. with the solenoid full open it is 30-32 psi if you get more out of it than this it is because the waste gate opening is to small, that is why they ream them to one inch. the charts show the drive to boost pressure above 35 psi to be very inefficient. the solenoid is not built in a way to vary boost. i think you have the modulation mixed up with the fca. it is wide open at 0 volts and modulates a 5 volt signal to precisely maintain a given pressure

·
Premium Member
15,615 Posts
Directly from the FSM and verified multiple times with testing on the command valve in multiple voltage readings. What the boost limit does is another whole story about combustion and stoichiometric balance.

The turbocharger also includes an additional component,
an Electronically Controlled Wastegate Command
Valve, to control boost pressure. The command
valve is located on the turbocharger compressor housing.
When the command valve is not actuated (no current supplied to the valve), a passage in the valve allows the
wastegate signal line to be supplied with boost pressure
. This allows boost pressure to be mechanically regulated
by the wastegate as in a conventional wastegated system.
When the engine control module (ECM) provides a pulse width modulated (PWM) signal to the command valve,
boost pressure is bypassed away from the wastegate signal line through a drilling in the turbocharger compressor
housing. The internal drilling bleeds boost pressure back to the turbocharger compressor inlet (low pressure). Actuating
the command valve and bypassing the boost pressure signal to the wastegate allows the engine to operate at
a higher boost than would be achieved if the wastegate were allowed to operate normally.
Actuating the command valve does not increase boost pressure if the boost pressure is below the wastegate actuator
setting. With the command valve actuated, maximum boost pressure at a given operating condition will vary
based on ambient air pressure and temperature.

·
Registered
402 Posts
if i put a fooler on my truck will it hurt it or will i notice it or nothing or waste of money if im gonna be buying a smarty jr

·
Premium Member
15,615 Posts
if i put a fooler on my truck will it hurt it or will i notice it or nothing or waste of money if im gonna be buying a smarty jr
Get the boost fooler or you will more than likely have problems building adequate boost.

·
Hide your cats!
5,100 Posts
Get the boost fooler or you will more than likely have problems building adequate boost.
In most cases I agree. However I will say if the op plans on keeping the factory turbo then I wouldn't bother with the bf. 44 psi is plenty of boost for a stocker and daily driver.
If you upgrade the turbo the yes get a bf. the limits of a aftermarket turbo are much greater the a stocker. A bf would be more useful here.
The only reason I have one is cause my bully dog dosent remap the map sensor. To help keep things cool and no cel light for the extra boost.

·
Premium Member
15,615 Posts
In most cases I agree. However I will say if the op plans on keeping the factory turbo then I wouldn't bother with the bf. 44 psi is plenty of boost for a stocker and daily driver.
It won't make over 30 psi of boost if the WG Off option doesn't work which is very common. At least with the BF it will limit boost to around 40-42 psi for the most part.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.