Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
i noticed a 5 psi increase on the boost gauge but in the seat not really not sure on smarty

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
if you're running more than 44psi of boost, you need one. The only thing they're for is to prevent the ECM from setting a code when you go beyond the set boost parameters which is 40 to 44psi. The Smarty is only good up to those psi's so, you will probably need one.
thanks man :thumbsup:

·
Registered
289 Posts
i would say it is

·
Banned
5,591 Posts
everyone with a boost gauge should have one.

·
Registered
289 Posts
with what in my sig i boost 47 psi

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i'm around 32-33 right now, i dont really know what to be expecting when my smarty gets here....

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
you will most likely see over 40 psi with a smarty. i would defiantely get a boost fooler and save that money and buy an mp-8 which also does boost fooling. then clamp off your wastegate hose.

Reactions: 24vcumminhard

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
isn't the waste gate on 05 and up electronic? i messed with it before and my check engine light was on for a few hours, i guess until the ecu realized everything was back in place.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
isn't the waste gate on 05 and up electronic? i messed with it before and my check engine light was on for a few hours, i guess until the ecu realized everything was back in place.
yep its electronic but it still has a hose from the sender to the wastegate. a boostfooler or the mp-8 will keep the engine light from coming on.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
432 Posts
I have an issue with mine, not sure whats going on. I've got a Silver 62, Quadzilla boost fooler and running the smarty TNT-r and keep getting a boost sensor reading code as well as a low voltage detection at the lift pump. I aslo have a Fass 150 on the truck. All of which started after putting the new turbo on. Any ideas??

·
Registered
531 Posts
I would say no, just from my experience. Mine started malfunctioning(pegging my RP and giving me a lope at idle) so I took it off and just use the Smarty to fool. I see 65 psi with no codes.

EDIT: I was getting the same code as above along with a few others

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I would say no, just from my experience. Mine started malfunctioning(pegging my RP and giving me a lope at idle) so I took it off and just use the Smarty to fool. I see 65 psi with no codes.

oh so the smarty has a fooler built in? or it just doesn't show the code?

·
Registered
432 Posts

I'll give that a shot, bofore the fooler i was hitting 40 pretty easy and since i put it on i cant get over 35lbs. :thumbsup::thumbsup: Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
oh so the smarty has a fooler built in? or it just doesn't show the code?
smarty boost fools up to 40psi and i believe wont show any codes. just tells the wastegate to start opening at 40psi.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
I'll give that a shot, bofore the fooler i was hitting 40 pretty easy and since i put it on i cant get over 35lbs. :thumbsup::thumbsup: Thanks for the input.
what are you reading your boost from? is it a mechanical or electrnic gauge? the boost fooler just tricks the computer to read 10psi lower boost so you can build that much more.

·
Registered
432 Posts
what are you reading your boost from? is it a mechanical or electrnic gauge? the boost fooler just tricks the computer to read 10psi lower boost so you can build that much more.
Its a mechanical guage. Removed the boost fooler and cleared the DTC's, check engine light stayed off until i shut the truck off and restarted it again. Now its back on. I am still only hitting 35lbs max.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts