Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What would the pros and cons be for a boost fooler for my little setup? And which one would ya'll recommend? Thanks.

·
Registered
456 Posts
boost fooler is built into the edge already you dont need one.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
what kind of boost are you seeing? if you haven't modified the wastegate yet that will gain some boost.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's an Auto Trans. The highest I've seen is 18 psi. But I'll check again tonight.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Get a boost elbow.

I have heard of people turning up the wastgate on the hy35, but I don't think it's as easy as the hx35 on the stick shifts. If you already have a fooler feature in your chip, you'll still need the wastegate to hold closed at higher pressure to make more boost.

The boost elbow is basically just a pressure regulator that makes the wastegate open around 30 psi versus the stock 20 or so psi.

·
Registered
456 Posts
with an auto you have to buy a "j hook" it holds the wastegate closed and will let you acheiver higher boot pressures.

on the stick shifts you are able to unscrew the little elbow fitting the rubber hose connects to and replace it with one with a much smaller hole. (on the autos the little elbow is cast to the turbo housing)

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
After punching it a few times 21 psi. was the highest. Where can I get a J hook?

·
Premium Member
1,992 Posts

·
Registered
790 Posts
Hey John do you have your wire tapped into the ip because you should be at 28-30 psi with the edge w/ attitude. You really don't want to run the hy much higher then that.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Hey John do you have your wire tapped into the ip because you should be at 28-30 psi with the edge w/ attitude. You really don't want to run the hy much higher then that.
he doesnt have a j hook and cant use a boost elbow.

so he cant boost that high cause the waste gate is opening up still at the factory level.

my ruck is the same way with my quad, i dont have a boost elbow and i can get up to around 22psi, then if i clamp off the waste gate hose i can easily go to 28-30 in seconds.

·
Registered
790 Posts
still should be able to hit 28-30 psi with edge on level 5 and not even touch the wastegate. that was the boost level i was hitting with out even messing the turbo.I was running 20-22 psi with ez alone.
this is why i originally asked if the ip is tapped?

·
Registered
5,650 Posts
still should be able to hit 28-30 psi with edge on level 5 and not even touch the wastegate. that was the boost level i was hitting with out even messing the turbo.I was running 20-22 psi with ez alone.
nope, I could only hit 20 or so with EZ or the J/A, if the wastegate actuator is working properly it wont matter how much fuel you dump in the engine as soon as the boost hits 20psi the wastegate actuator is going to open dumping the boost. I can only hit 28-30 with an extra spring holding the wastegate closed.

·
Registered
456 Posts
your waste gate and or actuator is / was messed up and not opening properly then.

nope, I could only hit 20 or so with EZ or the J/A, if the wastegate actuator is working properly it wont matter how much fuel you dump in the engine as soon as the boost hits 20psi the wastegate actuator is going to open dumping the boost. I can only hit 28-30 with an extra spring holding the wastegate closed.

EXACTLY!

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yes it's tapped.
I figured something might be wrong w/ my truck because I see a lot of people saying they put out over 25 psi on a stock turbo with a tuner. and that stock alone it runs between 18-21.

·
Registered
790 Posts
make sure you have a good tap and no boost leaks. I would check to see if you have the same performance from level one on up.

·
Registered
5,650 Posts
normal is 18-20 (with an hy) UNLESS you tamper with the wastegate, reguardless of what programmer you have, it might spike above the stock settings for a second, but the wastegate actuator is going to open at the pre-set psi. if you j-hook it or as I did added an extra spring you can easily get over the 18-20 range

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
There are variations year to year on boost limitations with the same turbo. Dodge Ram Information is a great site to look at to find out what it's supposed to be. You also should know that there will be a pressure drop between the turbo and the intake plenum, so WHERE you tap can make a few psi difference.

I *think* the J-hook is becoming a less popular mod due to the boost elbow introduction. The J-hook basically helps the wastegate stay closed 'till more boost is developed. The wastegate is operated by the boost pressure pushing a diaphragm that is connected to the wastegate. The boost elbow performs the same function, but in a much different way. It limits the pressure to the diaphragm, and regulates it to a higher pressure. So instead of assisting the wastegate spring, it limits the boost pressure that operates the wastegate.

But yes, the programmer will not affect more boost above the opening of the wastegate. When the 'gate opens, it dumps exhaust pressure past the turbo preventing the turbo from spooling further.

From what I've read, the relatively safe limit for the hy is about 30 psi. It will make more boost, but the boost will be more a function of the exhaust backing up, with the EGT's skyrocketing as the turbo hit's "choke point" This is why fully disabling the wastegate can actually cost power. When functioning, it can dump excess exhaust that could not escape from the turbine alone, but will regulate for maximum safe boost automatically.

·
Registered
456 Posts
well said

only think i can add is on the j hook vs boost elbow.

people use the j hook when they cant use the boost elbow as the stock elbow is molded to the turbo thus the need for the j hook or stronger spring. for those that it is not molded and is a separate piece they can simply replace it with the boost elbow.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts