Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I have had a couple of people tell me to get one of those adjustable boost elbows. They are about $20 on ebay. How much do these things help? Do they add power, decrease egts? Thanks!

·
I wanna go fast...
3,475 Posts
They are only real helpful if you are adding fuel to spin your turbo more. What it does is...Hang on, you have a 2001...You may not have an elbow, you may need a j-hook to keep your gate closed. I don't know when it changed, someone else will have to chime in. Anyhoo, either way you are forcing the wastegate to stay closed...You are not going to get much if you are not adding fuel.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info, anybody else got one of these?

·
Premium Member
5,382 Posts
I've got one and I see boost up in the low 30's.

On the '01 w/ an auto, I suspect you have the HY35 turbo, which would mean you need a J-hook to hold your waste gate as opposed to a boost elbow.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
no, the '01s have the Holset turbo that takes the boost elbow. My friend that told me about it put one on his '02.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Here is a pic of my turbo, maybe somebody can tell me if it takes one or not. Now I am not sure.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
By the way, how do you post pictures directly on the page instead of as a link. thanks

·
Registered
309 Posts
By the way, how do you post pictures directly on the page instead of as a link. thanks
I use photobucket, it's free and they automatically size pics and vids to the forum requirements, cos most forums are different.

I think the boost elbow will help a non automatic truck, the auto trucks have to use the J hook, but like mentioned above you will need more fuel to see real gains.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I use photobucket, it's free and they automatically size pics and vids to the forum requirements, cos most forums are different.
Yeah I used photobucket, but it justs puts a link instead of actually posting the picture on the page.

·
Registered
44 Posts
The boost elbow will help a little, but you wont see much gain without more fuel. I played around on mine and I can't get much more than 30psi no matter how much its closed off, but i just have a chip and factory injectors. I put one of these on my brothers 99 too. It has 60 horse injectors and would blow a little black smoke before. Now it doesn't smoke at all. More boost will up your hp by burning the fuel more effeciently which can also lead to lower egts. :peelout

·
Not like the others......
5,078 Posts
Your sig. says that you have a 6sp. (HX35), so yes, you can use the boost elbow.
But, as stated, if you don't have any fueling mods, then it will not do you any good.
More fuel=More boost

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
I have an auto with an HX-35 and I have a boost elbow. You are saying it does not work with an auto, why is that? It sounds like you guys are saying the screw on the elbow needs to be turned in to build more boost and out to decrease it? Is this correct?

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
But, as stated, if you don't have any fueling mods, then it will not do you any good.
More fuel=More boost
Thanks yall, I have the walbro pusher pump and will hopefully be getting some 100 horse injectors this summer. Lower egts would always be nice so I guess I will look into getting one.

·
Registered
220 Posts
will a boost elbow work on a third gen

·
Not like the others......
5,078 Posts
I have an auto with an HX-35 and I have a boost elbow. You are saying it does not work with an auto, why is that?
IIRC, the 01-02 autos came with the HY35 and the 98.5-00 autos came with the HX35, the boost elbow will not work on the HY's.
Thanks yall, I have the walbro pusher pump and will hopefully be getting some 100 horse injectors this summer. Lower egts would always be nice so I guess I will look into getting one.
If I'm understanding your statement correctly, your Walbro pump is not considered a fueling mod, so once again, the boost elbow will not do you any good. Once you add injectors or a box/programmer, then you will benefit from the boost elbow.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Yeah I used photobucket, but it justs puts a link instead of actually posting the picture on the page.
Copy one of the bottom two options under the pic and paste it here.

Is there any other options for an 01-02 auto truck besides the J hook or turbo replacement?

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
If I'm understanding your statement correctly, your Walbro pump is not considered a fueling mod, so once again, the boost elbow will not do you any good. Once you add injectors or a box/programmer, then you will benefit from the boost elbow.
Ok, thanks for clearing that up. I have been running a hypertech, but recently took it off, and hope to have the injectors soon.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Here is a pic of my turbo, maybe somebody can tell me if it takes one or not. Now I am not sure.

Yes it will work on that turbo.
Beware of overboost code if you dont have a boost fooler or chip to fool. You could get a P0234 if you boost more than say 22#!!!!!!!!!!m

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
not to hijack the thread but would a boost elbow help me in my situation? with the smarty on level 3?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts