Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know what it is i know what it does in fact i even ordered an adjustable one.

to get to the point im curious what kinda boost i can run the HX35 at and not have problems I have heard 35psi i have heard 40 psi ive even heard 25psi and 30 psi...

So what can i really run?

I just got my clutch in and finished today and also got my injectors in as well, and before the clutch and injectors with no modifications to WG i could hit maybe 24psi with my quad all the way up but generally right at 22psi tops. Well now with clutch and injectors and quad all the way up and again 100% stock turbo and no WG modifications Im hitting 32 psi and still have enouh fuel goin through it all to leave a solid black cloud even at 32si

Now i love the smoke to a degree but i also kinda wish it would clean up some more at full boost and was wonderin if with the boost elbow if i could run it to 35 psi or possibly 40 and clean it up some, lower my egt's a tad and of course get the added boost.

orrr, should i just sell the brand new boost elbow and be happy with what i have?

·
Not like the others......
5,116 Posts
With an Adrenaline, 90hp sticks and a stock turbo, you're not going to get it to clear up and run cool.
I was pushing 38 #'s out of my HX35 when I had my Adren. and stock injectors, still ran hot.
To answer your question, you could run 40#'s of boost, but you'll just be blowin hot air, not really adding any benefit.
Your drive pressure will probably be sky high too.
They say that anything over 35psi on a stock turbo is pretty much out of it's efficiency range.
Save up and get a bigger turbo, IMO.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
+1, The semi-accepted max for the hx35 is 35psi, and for the hy(auto) 30psi. Past that, you are just hitting choke point, and risking damage to your turbo and engine.

I am tempted to note, however, that on the hx, all you have to do to adjust the pressure is cut the hose off the wastegate actuator, pull the two bolts off the back of it, and rotate the housing to turn up the pressure. Then just slip a piece of transmission cooler hose (higher pressure rating than fuel line) and a couple fuel injection clamps and off you go. Take a look and you will see what I mean.

Ah, never mind. You probably are ready for a bigger turbo anyhow. If you want quick spool time, make sure to get a ballbearing turbo. Spoolup of a smaller turbo, boost of a bigger turbo.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
+1, The semi-accepted max for the hx35 is 35psi, and for the hy(auto) 30psi. Past that, you are just hitting choke point, and risking damage to your turbo and engine.

I am tempted to note, however, that on the hx, all you have to do to adjust the pressure is cut the hose off the wastegate actuator, pull the two bolts off the back of it, and rotate the housing to turn up the pressure. Then just slip a piece of transmission cooler hose (higher pressure rating than fuel line) and a couple fuel injection clamps and off you go. Take a look and you will see what I mean.

And I think your wastegate is siezed shut. It should be opening at about 22psi at the turbo. I would fix that, it is a safety/flow device that doesn't hurt performance if properly tuned. When at max boost, it's playing a balancing act keeping boost at max, and allowing excess exhaust out.
Yea i saw the arm back there and figured i could probably mess with it if i wanted to.

as far as the waste gate not opening all the way i kinda wanna say that i think it is...
reason being is before i put the injectors in and didnt have the quad or had the quad on plo or pl1 (pl1 timing only and pl0 is stock) I could only hit MAYBE 18psi, then with the quad all the way up I could still only hit around 22-24 psi MAX (clutch slipping tho, however on pl4 and no clutch slip it topped out at 22psi) now with a good clutch and bigger sticks it will build up to a top of 32 psi at nearly 3k RPM.
does the waste gate open enough to handle all the fuel? or is it like you said and the waste gate is getting stuck?

guess the boost elbow is a waste at this point since im already making nearly max boost for this turbo... I ordered it before i had it back on the road and didnt think it would be making this much boost on its own.

·
Not like the others......
5,116 Posts
Doesn't sound to me like your wastegate is sticking. From what you've described it sounds like it's working like it's supposed to.
Give me a shout if you wanna get rid of that adjustable elbow.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ill let ya know in the next couple of days, i wanna drive it some and see what it does.

·
Registered
341 Posts
with everything in my sig I am hitting 36 psi and I can get it there pretty easy does that sound about right?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Doesn't sound to me like your wastegate is sticking. From what you've described it sounds like it's working like it's supposed to.
Give me a shout if you wanna get rid of that adjustable elbow.
ya what he said. If your only hitting 32 psi with injectors and quad turned up then your wastegate is working fine. I modified mine and I can hit 29psi on pl0 with stock injectors. With the Quad turned up I hit 36-38psi and my egts don't go over 1500. But even at 38psi my truck still smokes. So with injectors you will definitely need a bigger turbo.:turbo:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts