Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Would you put these tow mirrors on your 2019+ truck?

• Yes

Votes: 9 37.5%
  • No

Votes: 10 41.7%
  • Maybe

Votes: 5 20.8%

• Total voters
141 - 156 of 156 Posts

·
Rear Admiral Rickard Onmi
6,744 Posts
so you did get alpha to turn on those with reverse? Did you have to rewire anything or was it just changing settings?

·
Registered
9,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #142
I did not. It is possible to get it to turn on with reverse but I believe you’ll have to do some additional wiring under the dash for that?

·
Registered
9,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #143
I really like the way they look and the functions that they offer. Only thing stopping me from ordering is they don't offer power fold. My mirrors now are not power fold but I can still get my truck into my Garage with them in.(which is where they stay unless I am towing a trailer, No ghost trailering for me) Don't think these would fit without folding them in.
they actually don’t stick out further than the oem ones I’ll get a measurement for you.

·
6,744 Posts
I did not. It is possible to get it to turn on with reverse but I believe you’ll have to do some additional wiring under the dash for that?
Maybe @Jimmy07 can elaborate on it. Might just need to switch some pins on the door module

·
Premium Member
1,962 Posts
Maybe @Jimmy07 can elaborate on it. Might just need to switch some pins on the door module
Do 2019+ trucks come equipped with reverse lights on the higher trim OEM mirrors?
The factory 2019+ mirror spot lights aren’t capable of coming on with reverse gear alone. You would actually have to tap into the backup light signal at the BCM. There normal behavior is to be turned on with the cargo lamp switch along with the cargo/bed lamps, and this can be done while in reverse (except for California market Rams). I don’t think I would want to be married to having them come on every single time the truck is put in reverse. I would rather have the option to turn them on/off on-demand.

·
6,744 Posts
The factory 2019+ mirror spot lights aren’t capable of coming on with reverse gear alone. You would actually have to tap into the backup light signal at the BCM. There normal behavior is to be turned on with the cargo lamp switch along with the cargo/bed lamps, and this can be done while in reverse (except for California market Rams). I don’t think I would want to be married to having them come on every single time the truck is put in reverse. I would rather have the option to turn them on/off on-demand.
I assume this would also be true on the 13-18 trucks?

·
Premium Member
1,962 Posts
I assume this would also be true on the 13-18 trucks?
The mirror spot lights can’t be activated like factory on 13-18s, even with 2019+ door modules. This is because there is a setting in the radio that allows you to turn the feature on or off all together. In AlfaOBD, the setting is in a third CustSetMenu list, which doesn’t exist in the 13-18 BCMs.
Unmolested, the GM style mirror spot lamps installed on a 10-18 ram will only come on with the puddle lamps- so, basically, only when you unlock the doors with the approach lights setting enabled in the radio. You can get creative, and have them come on with whatever circuit you want, but I can’t figure a way to make them function exactly like they do on the 2019+ Rams. If you wire them to the cargo lamp circuit to work with the switch on a 13-8, they will come on when the doors are unlocked, and on approach, the spot lamps blind you as you’re getting into the vehicle.

·
Registered
837 Posts
The way you describe the desire for them to work is how they were set up on the previous generation GM trucks. You had to turn a switch on first for them to come on in reverse.

What would be really nice is to have a 2 position switch where one position they would operate in reverse and the other position being tuned on at will.

There were times when it would have been nice to have extra light without having to put the truck in reverse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
5,116 Posts
Th Circle of Life

Reactions: Loki223

·
6,744 Posts
@mattswaggs Will the children be the final decision makers on if it is a good idea? from the pictures it appears they are already in deep discussion about it

·
6,744 Posts
I did just email them inquiring about power fold availability and if factory GM glass will mount to add blind spot lights. If those two items won't be options, i will more then likely pass on this project myself. I'm to spoiled to give up power folding, this is my first truck with it, and i use it more then i care to admit.

·
Registered
5,116 Posts
@mattswaggs Will the children be the final decision makers on if it is a good idea? from the pictures it appears they are already in deep discussion about it
haha, they are always the final decision.

if they want to go camping, they need camper mirrors . Haha

Lol your kid is scratching his head thinking, “but..dad...this doesn’t make any sense”
Hah, I caught an off picture of that one. He will be 7 next month, but he is a sharp kid. Can already build/rebuild better than most adults. I have no worries if he will be successful in life. He is a beast!

·
6,744 Posts
So just got this back from Boost, looks like blind spot will be available soon, however power folding might be another year or more out....But if someone here has a 19+ in the Chicago area, you could probably talk to them about getting a deal for test fitting

We may offer power fold at a later point in time, but I can tell you it's not currently being worked on. This is something that certainly won't be released for 12+ months - our development team waits to see what the demand for certain items is and then they prioritize so since these are a newer release they aren't yet in scope.

We will offer with the BSM once we release them for the 2019+ trucks. We are currently searching for a 2019+ Ram 2500/3500 local to Chicago to perform a test fit / installation on... once we perform the test fit we will release them for those applications

·
Premium Member
1,962 Posts
So just got this back from Boost, looks like blind spot will be available soon, however power folding might be another year or more out....But if someone here has a 19+ in the Chicago area, you could probably talk to them about getting a deal for test fitting
LOL...somebody already did a test fit on a 2019+. All they need to do is put an LED indicator is the glass.

141 - 156 of 156 Posts