Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, So I have an 02 auto truck, Edge juice with attitude, Banks 4" monster exhaust and a Airaid cold air intake. I am curious;

What kind of boost should I be seein?
Stock:
Level 1: I get 18
Level 2: I get 20
Level 5: I peak at 24 but after shifts it's erratic

Also;
I don't really see much smoke on any level. I have a Carter replacement LP (I know) The FP stays above 5 accept if I romp it on level 5 it drops to 3 and boost is real erratic (17-24) on level 5, EGT's are over 1300 and little to no smoke.

Sorry for teh newbie questions but I've searched and searched and come up with nothing.

Also I have P codes;

P0216; IP timing
P0237; Low voltage from teh MAP sensor.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
387 Posts
well i know with my truck its an 01 auto and i think the 02 auto's are the same when you installed your juice there isnt any boost elbow to install because we got stuck with the solid line......i had to rig up a turnbuckle to hook onto the wastegate and turbo housing and it got me up to 30-32 psi......now for smoke my juice doesnt throw what i expected either descent but i wanted more. I think there might be ways of screwing with the fuel on the edge but i lost my manual

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I've heard of teh J hook as well but I can't help but think there might be another issue I need to address before latching the wastegate shut.

I don't really want smoke cos I know smoke means too much fuel which means high EGT's, mine are up but I feel they are too high?? On level 1 in just teh truck (No trailer) I see over 1200 on hard accel.

I'm hopin more boost will lower my EGT's.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Well a turn buckle is like 2 bucks you can buy one almost anywhere give it a try and you will find out

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
true, I'd like to lock it open and see. but the lo voltage code make me wonder about the MAP sensor????

·
Registered
87 Posts
might need a new map sensor, thats how the edge ads fuel i assume off the map sensor, in turn should cause more boost.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Any sources for a new MAP sensor?

Also how can I tell which turbo I have on this truck?

Thanks

·
Mopar1973Man.Com
26,259 Posts
OK, So I have an 02 auto truck, Edge juice with attitude, Banks 4" monster exhaust and a Airaid cold air intake. I am curious;

What kind of boost should I be seein?
Stock:
Level 1: I get 18 (25 PSI)
Level 2: I get 20 (28 PSI)
Level 5: I peak at 24 but after shifts it's erratic (35 PSI)

Also;
I don't really see much smoke on any level. I have a Carter replacement LP (I know) The FP stays above 5 accept if I romp it on level 5 it drops to 3 and boost is real erratic (17-24) on level 5, EGT's are over 1300 and little to no smoke.

MIN FUEL PRESSURE is 10 PSI

Sorry for teh newbie questions but I've searched and searched and come up with nothing.

Also I have P codes;

P0216; IP timing (VP44 is fried - here is how to replace it. VP44 Replacment)
P0237; Low voltage from teh MAP sensor. (Clean the sensor - MAP Sensor Cleaning)

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
You need a new fuel pump and injection pump for sure...

Here is a good fuel pump and you never have to worry again...
AirDog Fuel Pump

And to keep the Vp44 lubed up use some 2 cycle oil...
2 Cycle Oil

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks again Mopar Man, I have a new/reman IP and airdog ready to go in this w/e. I'll use your directions to install and bleed.

Should I do the LP or the IP first?

·
Mopar1973Man.Com
26,259 Posts
Right on...

I would do both the same day but starting with the VP44. You will need a puller for the VP44 gear.

Another good thing is to get the key setup the right way and super glue it in the pump shaft then it won't fall out during installation...:SMART:

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
OK, so I got the IP done yesterday in 3 hours. Runs much better, changed out teh LP and big line kit, which is a Raptor. It's adjustable so I can set teh pressure to my needs. It runs much better, the EGT's are about 200° cooler on level one at WOT. the boost is still only 17 on level one and 21 on level 5. Gonna go to Ace hardware and see what they have for me to alter teh wastegate..... :w:

I still have the 0237 and 0216 codes though? :thud:

·
Mopar1973Man.Com
26,259 Posts
OK, so I got the IP done yesterday in 3 hours. Runs much better, changed out teh LP and big line kit, which is a Raptor. It's adjustable so I can set teh pressure to my needs. It runs much better, the EGT's are about 200° cooler on level one at WOT. the boost is still only 17 on level one and 21 on level 5. Gonna go to Ace hardware and see what they have for me to alter teh wastegate..... :w:

I still have the 0237 and 0216 codes though? :thud:
Go to...
OBD II Error Codes

Go down to Self Erasing Of Error Codes towards the bottom it will explain what has to happen to erase codes...

Or just get a code reader and erase them... Like a ScanGauge II...:w:

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
OK, so I don't really want smoke but I'm not gettin any either? Any ideas?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Never have bought anything from here but, rather than spending 120 from the dealer on the map sensor look here:

Welcome to HOESLIDIESEL.COM

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks Smoker I'll check it out.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
I borrowed a friends code scanner and read the codes and sure enough, 0237 and 0216, cleared them out and no more codes and they dodn't come back this morning after my ride to work. :hyper:

I think the 0237 MAP Low E code came from when I installed the Edge and I ran the engine to clear out the chips from teh EGT drill and tap and the MAP wasn't hooked up??????

Hopefully good to go now.

Gonna play with the wastegate now to try to get the boost up around 30' and se how the EGT's are?

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
OK, so for a $1.48 from teh Home Depot I bought a turnbuckle and installed it, test drove and now the boost is 25 on level 1 with no load and 29 on level 5 with no load. also the egt's on level 5 are barely 1200 where before I would be over 1300 and the alarm was goin crazy. EGT's on level 1 are under 1000 where before it was close to 1200. will re-update after a tow test in a couple of weeks.

Also it was 98° yesterday which I know has an effect on the EGT's.

·
Registered
126 Posts
How do you go about rigging up that turnbuckle??

well i know with my truck its an 01 auto and i think the 02 auto's are the same when you installed your juice there isnt any boost elbow to install because we got stuck with the solid line......i had to rig up a turnbuckle to hook onto the wastegate and turbo housing and it got me up to 30-32 psi......now for smoke my juice doesnt throw what i expected either descent but i wanted more. I think there might be ways of screwing with the fuel on the edge but i lost my manual

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I just hooke dit on the arm that the wastegate lever hooks to and the other end to the casting that mounts teh bellows for teh wastegate.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts