Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys was hoping to hear some more opinions on some body care. First off up north here it's hard to keep a truck clean all year round. I try to keep mine as clean as I can so I won't get rust down the road or at least slow the process down. I absolutely hate doing body work so I want to avoid it when I can.

Anyways just wanted to know what care products do you use? What order? And also do you recommend using a power buffer? I always assume I can never get my truck clean enough to prevent scratching with a power buffer.

How often should I wax the truck or polish? Any other products should I use?

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
I use mothers cleaner wax twice a year, always by hand. I also use ICE after every wash..... My truck gets detailed by me every week. It's my therapy.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I use mothers cleaner wax twice a year, always by hand. I also use ICE after every wash..... My truck gets detailed by me every week. It's my therapy.
Is ICE a brand? Also is it really bad to wax the truck in sunlight I heard its nt good

·
Registered
975 Posts
Plenty of "Autobell" car wash appointments and I have it detailed by my buddy from head to toe quarterly. I see how long it takes for a real detail and you can count me out. :shock:

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
ICE is made by Turtle Wax. It can be applied in direct sunlight and won't leave white residue on your trim.

Reactions: dieselmeat84

·
Registered
626 Posts
Do you have to whip ICE off?

·
Air Force Vet
2,423 Posts
Mothers wax can be installed in or out of sunlight. I wax once a year but use eagle 1 quick detailer every couple of weeks to bring back the shine.

·
Registered
3,681 Posts
dont waste your time/money on ice, its mearly a polish thats marginal at best. Look around autogeek youll find some good products.

I use a sealant as a base, I perfer Klase, then I top coat it with collinite 746s or 915, which is a pure wax. I usually do this twice a year. I wash my truck once a week, useing a grit gard bucket from autogeek, with meguires professional car washthat does not have a wax built in it and a microfiber mit. If I want a quick detailer, I use meguires detail spray. Do not use a brush at a car wash, thats how you get small scratches, keep your mit and towls clean to avoid swirl marks.

If I get scratches or end up with sap or some kind of contaminates on the paint, ill go over it with a medium abrasive wolfgang clay bar, followed by wolfgang paint cleansing lotion, then ill coat it with a sealant (klase) followed by a good wax (collinite).

Try to avoid waxes with a cleaner built in them ( aka cleaner wax) the results they give are marginal, you want to use a good pure wax, but allways put down a synthetic sealant first, I perfer klase.

As far as the underside goes, I soak everything down with fluid film, I spray it in every gap, hole, seam and over everything. I do that about 3 times a year, in the winter I wash the underside with a power washer once a week. I had 141 k on my last truck all driven in salt covered IL roads and the truck still looked new. I recomend some good mud flaps as well.

·
Registered
3,681 Posts
Mothers wax can be installed in or out of sunlight. I wax once a year but use eagle 1 quick detailer every couple of weeks to bring back the shine.
only there synthetic "wax" is recomended for application in direct sunlight.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
dont waste your time/money on ice, its mearly a polish thats marginal at best. Look around autogeek youll find some good products.

I use a sealant as a base, I perfer Klase, then I top coat it with collinite 746s or 915, which is a pure wax. I usually do this twice a year. I wash my truck once a week, useing a grit gard bucket from autogeek, with meguires professional car washthat does not have a wax built in it and a microfiber mit. If I want a quick detailer, I use meguires detail spray. Do not use a brush at a car wash, thats how you get small scratches, keep your mit and towls clean to avoid swirl marks.

If I get scratches or end up with sap or some kind of contaminates on the paint, ill go over it with a medium abrasive wolfgang clay bar, followed by wolfgang paint cleansing lotion, then ill coat it with a sealant (klase) followed by a good wax (collinite).

Try to avoid waxes with a cleaner built in them ( aka cleaner wax) the results they give are marginal, you want to use a good pure wax, but allways put down a synthetic sealant first, I perfer klase.

As far as the underside goes, I soak everything down with fluid film, I spray it in every gap, hole, seam and over everything. I do that about 3 times a year, in the winter I wash the underside with a power washer once a week. I had 141 k on my last truck all driven in salt covered IL roads and the truck still looked new. I recomend some good mud flaps as well.
You sound like your advertising for autogeek haha.

So to keep it in simple terms for idiots like me your saying that I should

1. Clean the truck real well with clean microfiber towels and cleaner that doesn't use waxes.

2. Use a sealant like klase (I'll have to see if we have that here in Canada) what does the sealant do exactly? Is it for the clear coat?

3. Use a pure wax. Is it ok to use a power buffer?

And that's it?

And what is clay bar and what is it used for??

·
Registered
3,681 Posts
You sound like your advertising for autogeek haha.

So to keep it in simple terms for idiots like me your saying that I should

1. Clean the truck real well with clean microfiber towels and cleaner that doesn't use waxes.

2. Use a sealant like klase (I'll have to see if we have that here in Canada) what does the sealant do exactly? Is it for the clear coat?

3. Use a pure wax. Is it ok to use a power buffer?

And that's it?

And what is clay bar and what is it used for??

Lol I'm not advertising for them, but if they are listening they could give me a discount on my next order :thumbsup:

Clay bar is to remove contaminates on the paint, if you don't have any, you don't need it. Always use a sealant before a wax, a good base with a sealant will help your paint last, look good and e easy to clean. Use a good pure wax, Collinite is really good stuff for the money

Reactions: slipshft

·
Registered
3,681 Posts
I only use a buffer to apply a paint cleaner, scratch remover or color enhancer... So it's rare that I use a buffer on my truck.

On your plastic trim, get some Wolfgang exterior trim sealant, it will keep it nice and black, you ony need to apply it once and awhile.

·
Premium Member
1,443 Posts
My brother in-law is meticulous about cleaning his vehicles, right now mine is covered in mud, I washed her before we went on vaca last week, except the tires still looked muddy and I scrubbed them, what good for cleaning them up?

·
Registered
3,681 Posts
My brother in-law is meticulous about cleaning his vehicles, right now mine is covered in mud, I washed her before we went on vaca last week, except the tires still looked muddy and I scrubbed them, what good for cleaning them up?
Wet them down, spray them with Wesley's bleach white, scrub with a brush spray off with water, repeat if necessary. Bleach white can be bad on some aluminum rims, so make sure you only use it on the tires. Good luck bud!

·
Registered
37 Posts
A note on the claybar, if you move your hand across the paint surface after washing and you feel imperfections, chances are that you need to use a claybar. If the surface feels smooth, then you can skip it. You can also use a microfiber towel and move slowly to listen for the fibers to catch on something, this would also indicate the need for a claybar cleaning. Just my experience. Your mileage may vary.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
So do you wipe the clay off afterwards? Or do you leave it on and then wax/ seal?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts