Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello Fellers, I'm checking to see if anyone has an answer to some issues that have been coming up with my 16 Ram 3500 Cummins G56 Manual with SDT delete tuning. I start the truck in the mornings and it sputters, puts out some bluish white smoke, rev it after a little and sputters like crazy but once its warm it won't sputter anymore. Then coming home from work, I'm barely pushing the throttle just before the exhaust brake kicks in and its putting out more bluish smoke. If I'm completely off the throttle no smoke or on the throttle just at that certain spot. I've done the CCV Bypass, its fully deleted, has around 165,000 miles. recently changed fuel filters, been about 3 tanks since I added some ATF to the fuel, put some injector cleaner this past weekend, nothing seems to help. Could it be signs of a bad turbo? Could I be losing an injector? How do these VGT turbos act if their going out? I know theres some Cummins Gods on here so someone help me out. Not eve my 5.9 24 valve has done anything like this and it has 346,000 miles.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Anyone having these issues? Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thank you. Someone told me it could be the seals in the turbo are failing. I've noticed in the mornings when it's been sitting awhile it makes a fast clacking noise then once it gets oil it stops. I haven't checked the turbine to see if it's loose. It's been building boost like normal. I'll probably check it today after work.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Update: I checked the turbo yesterday. It looks like there is oil right behind the silencer ring/baffle that has caked itself on to the inlet. Also looks like there was water or something seeping into the turbo. I know I have a little coolant leak from when I did the delete so maybe it was going in through the bottom of the hose from the CCV to the inlet of the turbo. Guess I forgot to tighten it. Bearings are fine there is no play, I made a trip over the weekend hauling the flatbed with another truck and I didn't see any issues in towing. Still had plenty of power, but it is still dong the same smoking and sputtering. My buddy reminded me that its been happening for awhile now but I had forgot.

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
Everyone I have reached out to and talk to has pointed me to injectors on this. Ill be opening my turbo and inspecting it and doing a continuity test on my injectors this weekend.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
And the ones I've talked to have told me it could be either or.

·
Registered
15 Posts
on this thread they were all describing my exact issue and there's all came out to be tuning issues I believe.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I dont have any way of checking the injectors. I would have to take it into a shop. I will contact the place that did the tuning and see if they can check my tuning, do needed adjustments, or figure out how to resolve.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
MaxsteelG56 any update on your truck? I looked up another thread and seems like more people are having the same issue after adding weight reduction fuel enhancing parts.

·
Registered
15 Posts
MaxsteelG56 any update on your truck? I looked up another thread and seems like more people are having the same issue after adding weight reduction fuel enhancing parts.

Nothing yet. Working with my tuner and he got me a completely stock tune to revert to so I can check what codes are getting covered up as I found my PCM isn't sending a control signal to my grid heater. Once I get that resolved and the new grid heater installed and still have my cold start smoke issue I'll start investigating tuning issues vs something mechanical like the turbo or injectors again.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ive tried reaching out to Same Day and they don't get back to me. I dont know if you saw the pictures I posted of the turbo but seems like everything is ok to me. Maybe its just a tuning issue. But its driving me crazy at this point.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I've been told it's injectors or running. I like my tuner but he says it's not him obviously but at 73k I highly doubt it's tuners. I get it man, it's super frustrating. My neighbors hate me because I smoke out the neighborhood every morning on my cold start. Hopefully I'll get some answers this week.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Maxsteelg56 were you able to get any answers on what's going on?

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have found that when my grid heater finally works (I replaced the stock one with a throttle valve replacement from glacier diesel) it doesn't have a terrible start. But after work when it's just barely warm enough not to run the block heater it starts like a dog blow smoke and stuttering until it's warm as if it was -40 outside. I flashed it back to stock and still had the same issue so my tune isnt causing it, but could still be a programming issue not corrected by the tune. I cleaned all the sensor on the intake when I replaced the grid heater hoping the IAT on the plenum was causing the issue and nothing changed after cleaning them sadly. It's going I to the diesel shop tomorrow and I am suspecting a valve is letting oil past when cold somewhere. I'll let you know if the shop finds anything. So far it hasn't gotten worse and no codes thrown so I am at a loss.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
That's the same with mine. It hasn't gotten worse. It's been about the same. Just sputters when you Rev it at any temp. Engine warm or cold. And the white smoke while coasting has stayed about the same. I'm thinking it could be injectors.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Just saw this thread now. The turbo inlet looks absolutely caked. To me that points to CCV issues. Either the filter is saturated and its sucking garbage out of it or the CCV is not even there and she is sucking straight out the crankcase.

Reactions: Kullukman

·
glacierdieselpower.com
1,220 Posts
Had a minute to read through this thread. I think there is still some troubleshooting to be had in order to come to a conclusion. But my initial gut reaction it telling me it's a tuning issue. Does anyone participating in this thread NOT have a tuner?

·
Registered
15 Posts
I attempted to rule out my tuner by reflashing back to stock and running with codes for 2 days and the issue remained. I finally bit the bullet and tested my injectors. One was indeed failing from a minor water contamination. Replacing them all and now religiously changing fuel filters.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts