Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Ram 2500 Laramie Longhorn 6.7
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,
Just bought my first 4th gen, 2013 Laramie Longhorn Cummins 4x4, 207k on the clock.
The front end wanders a LOT. There is a bunch of slop at the frame end of the track bar, so that bushing is definitely shot and it allows the whole front axle to move around.
Does anyone know what brand track bar it is and what bushings I would need? It's adjustable and blue.
Also, anyone's BTDT advice on track bar bushings would be appreciated.
Love the truck, just need to get the steering sorted out.
Thanks!

More pictures...

Attachments

·
Registered
337 Posts
Looks similar to this “unbranded” eBay special...

As for replacement parts I doubt original replacements are an option. I’d start by pressing the old one out and measuring if your determined to rebuild.

If your looking for an upgrade, then I’d look into Thuren.

Another option if your on a budget, and your stock height or close to it, find an oem take off from someone who did upgrade.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Forgot to mention the truck is leveled, but unfortunately again I don't know what brand/height. It sits level... I'm hoping I can just press out the old frame end bushing and replace it with a better quality aftermarket one.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I’d start by trying to get the correct dimensions of the needed bushing. Any chance there’s a part number stamped anywhere on the bar?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I pulled the bar off and cleaned it all up, no p/n. I think 3seven4 nailed it, probably an EBay special.
I pushed the bushing out. Opening in the bar is kind not a perfect circle, which you can see in the pictures. But it measures between 1.98-1.78" in inside diameter, and its 1.4" tall. The bushing that came out is just really soft rubber. It's no wonder it's moving around so much.

Attachments

·
Registered
337 Posts
Im not fully understanding your measurements. I’d try plugging your measurements taken according to their guide into the site I linked below, they have a pretty good selection..

Also that bar end likely started life round, before pressing a new bushing you’ll have to persuade it to return to something closer to round.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sorry, should have sat down at the computer to write that out. The hole that the bushing goes in to is not round as it should be. It was either manufactured that way (cheap Chinese ebay parts) or someone in the past bent it. The rubber bushing could be pushed out by hand because it is so worn out.
The opening for the bushing measured long wise in the oval is 1.98" (50.3mm) and across the oval - becuase it is not perfectly round - is 1.78" (45mm). Anotherwards it probably started life as about a 2" diameter opening/circle. Measured height wise for opening for the bushing is 1.4" (35.6mm).
I'm considering just ordering the Carli track bar and being done with it for good, unless someone that has the Synergy Suspension adjustable track bar can say that it is as good as the Carli.
Thanks again for everyones input.

Thanks for the link to Energy Suspension. They make good stuff. They have a fairly universal 2" bushing with a 5/8" center hole, P/N 9.9485 that I might order and try as well.

·
SuperModerator
10,397 Posts

A new track bar is the right move.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Got the Thuren track bar installed and all freeplay is gone! I also instgalled Thuren Overland shocks front & rear and just thought I'd mention that I love the ride! I had worn out Monroe's on the front and factory shocks on the rear, and the ride is much, much better. It is compliant and comfortable for a 3/4 ton truck. I had put Bilstein 5100's on my 2005 1-ton and they were too firm for a big truck and for me I didn't really care for the ride. The Thuren Overlands are much nicer.
Thanks again for everyone's input.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts