Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey i've been gettin some pretty horrible blue smoke at idle with my truck lately. it's gone from just smoking when it's cold too me almost turning it off when i'm stopped at a light in about 3 weeks time.

it seems too clear out once i get goin down the road and then sorta build-up again at a light

i was just wondering if anyone had any suggestions?

i know my turbo is pretty much shot... could it be comin from there?

·
Registered
41 Posts
well thats really not good. im pretty sure blue smoke means it burning oil. but i dont no much more. but im sure thats what blue smoke is.

·
Rescue Tower
10,827 Posts
It usually means bad headgasket, or rings. But headgasket usually.
What are you talking about... :confused013:

Instead of pulling your head, take a look at your turbo. It may be leaking oil into your intake. If you see an oil trail get it taken care of. If it gets bad enough or blows the seal out completley you could get a run away engine.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ya i'm gonna take a look-see at the turbo right now for oil... i know when i put my intake on there was tons of up and down play on my impeller shaft.

what's this run away stuff all about. and if it happens is there any way too stop it?

·
Rescue Tower
10,827 Posts
Run away is when a diesel engine somehow ingests it's own oil. Since diesels can actually ignite that fuel source it will start accelerating until it self-destructs or runs out of oil, but it is usually the first. To stop it you can choke off the air supply, or stall the engine. With a manual transmission stalling is easy. An auto is not so easy. Detroit 2 strokes were great at pulling this stunt. It's not supper easy for our trucks to do it. The oil has to make it through the intercooler before it makes it to the engine.

·
Premium Member
16,224 Posts
Impeller up and down play is OK as long as it doesn't hit the sides.
Back and forth play is bad.
Sometimes you can't tell if the turbo seals need replacing by just looking in the turbo.
Check the tubing going to the innercooler for oil.
If it's leaking into the exhaust portion of the turbo you'll usually get some drips from the exhaust tip.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I too have a little blue smoke. Nothing terrible as in I'm not fogging out the neighborhood but it does concern me a little. I thought it was from just being cold but after driving a small distance on the freeway and it was up to op temp i still had a little blue smoke at idle. Which side of the turbo do I look at exhaust or intake? I have no oil drips out my exhust pipes. Truck has no mods besides dual str8 pipe and aftermarket OE air filter.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I would check pump Timing.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Could it be anything else? I'm pretty sure my pump hasn't been tampered with.

·
Banned
1,777 Posts
timing can still slip.... are you checking your oil ? are u sure it's burning oil ? have you attempted to find someone to do a compression check ?

anything ?

·
Registered
298 Posts
Yeah just changed the oil and not positive its oil. Just assuming since it's blue smoke that it may be oil. No I havn't located anyone to do a compression check.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Took a look at my turbo today and it looked good no oil or film just light soot look to it. I still have some blue smoke at first start idle, and sometimes when I rev it it will blow a light blue before black smoke.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Bumping it up :banghead: Hoping I don't need a turbo rebuild. If it's not ol what else could it be? Raw fuel maybe?

·
Registered
298 Posts
Another bump......would resetting my timing if it has slip stop my issue?

·
Registered
13 Posts
i know its not a cummins but one of our ford diesels was blowing blue smoke we talked to a local diesel shop they said bateria or air in the fuel system we raplaced fuel lines and filter and bleed the system no more blue smoke.like i said i know its a ford but hope it helps.

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
did you look at the exhaust side if the turbo? to see if the oil is going out that seal.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I think what I'm going to do is just spend the 60 bucks and order a rebiuld kit.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts