Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Blue chip Vp44

4K views 25 replies 6 participants last post by  jthorson 
#1 ·
Admin please move to the right category if this is in the wrong place.

So been doing some research on vp44s and who builds them, what they do, the whole Fedex thing, etc...

Seems like all the info i find is on the basic "rebuild" with a 1 year warranty. However I see on their website they have The Best rebuild option. For a whopping $2800 bucks with a 3 year warranty they claim to have a new computer, steel bushed sleeve, piston and diaphram, etc..

My question is has anyone ever actually dished out the cash for one of these pumps? I get that for the 3000 bucks most would see it as use the cash for a p-pump but im looking for more info to understand if the price tag is just for the exteneded warranty or if there is actually something better that's been done to these pumps.. Im not looking to p-pump my truck and my current (what i assume is) original vp44 is doing alright with 198,xxx on the clock. Definitely want to change it out before it decides to give me problems and it wont be accepted as a core. Im a fan of "pay for what you get" so if paying $2800 will get me a pump that is so to say "more reliable" "offers better performance/economy" and a 3 year unlimited mile warranty I wouldn't mind dishing out the cash. But if its just "advertisement BS" then i feel they shouldnt even list something like that..

Anyhow.. Any opinions or replies from anyone that has dealt with one of these pumps or has some more insight than i do would be greatly appreciated!

See less See more
#2 ·
Heres a screenshot of their post/price on Blue Chip Diesel's website.

Attachments

#4 ·
Thats how i felt about it too. Being they dont have a test bench makes me feel awkward that they can ask that much over the comp and not even have it tested before it ships to a customer.

Ive read good things bout DAP and that's what i was leaning towards anyways just had me curious what the price was all about and if it actually offered on more reliablility/peformance over the average "rebuild"

#6 ·
Ive never really been sold on the monster/hot rod pumps.. But how did you like the monster?

#7 ·
I liked it. Had 15,000 some miles on it iirc. Been a long time but made around low 600s but a so pump would have done that. It was a 2wd truck and was pretty rowdy as it sat. With bigger injectors and more air I could have put it to use

#8 ·
Sweet. Drove a buddies a while back. Not sure what all he had done but ik for sure it was a 99 auto Hotrod vp ddp +75s and an hx35. 240,xxx miles. He had a smarty not sure if or what tune he had when i drove it. Anyways it had some power on a boosted launch and was fun but for a dd i didnt like it. Cold start it dumped smoke, loped 24/7 and rarely cleared up the smoke. Maybe 240k had taken its toll on the engine and had an influence. He gave the truck hell soo...

#10 ·
Yeah for sure the hx played a role. No he had stock tubes and lines. I questioned that myself. The guys brother is running a Monster pump with +100s or +125s(cant remember if he was waiting for the 125s or of he had already installed) an s400 and modded crossovers. Took a cruise in the passenger seat and definitely had way more power and less smoke on the top end. Had an insane lope tho Ive always loved some lope in gassers but that truck was crazy loped tho. Didnt ask if he had a cam tho.

#12 ·
Are you happy with the Dap now? Or is there anything you wouldve done different? Pump/injector wise

#14 ·
I wanna get the most i can and still be "reliable" Im gonna shoot for about 650 when its all said and done. If i can get 700+ id be happy as hell but im not getting my hopes up. However i do plan on dumping a pile of cash into the truck (doing the math about 50% into the motor alone) so hopefully itll be a big enough pile lol. Gonna park it and rebuild it ground up with everything quality and aftermarket possible and a few custom touches along the way.

#16 ·
Ive got water/meth now so im expecting that to bump the numbers up. Ive debated on adding some n2o and im om the fence. Would be nice and setting up aint that pricey but I like the convenience of my water/meth. What you think of getting 750 out of an so vp44 with water/meth or n2o? Doing some searching and asking around im planning on running a 20 over bored block/piston +275s on a milled ported/polished intake/exhaust head with a 62/75 or 78 compound setup with water/meth or n2o. Gonna add a Quadzilla to the mix. Definitely gonna put a cam/springs and change up the rocker arms but not decided on that part yet..

#17 ·
And of coarse all other supporting mods.. Push rods, connecting rods, coated pistons, new crank and balance everything, 12mm girddle, head studs, fire rings, etc..

#18 ·
With the right injectors, air, and big shot you could do 750 on a so vp. If you want that number on fuel I'd say get a hot rod or monster pump. I'd cut the pistons n skip the coating. burns off anyways. Could do your numbers on stock pistons and rods and it live at that for awhile

#19 ·
Hmmm. Interesting! Im not looking for fuel only numbers (I shouldve made that clear, My Bad) the way I see it pushing the vp44 for 700+ on fuel alone is begging it to fail especially for a DD (not saying it wont fail anyways) but If i can save some strain on the vp at around 600-650 thats plenty for cruising(who am i kidding i haul ) down the road and hauling 30k+ GCVW. With a shot of meth or n2o to take me past 700/750 is perfect for the occasoinal (often but not always) urge to have just that much more!

#20 ·
Yes i have one in my 01 maybe 80k on it.I was in the same boat as you i didnt want to keep replacing vp's reading some stories of getting bad remans,i wanted the newest and up to date parts in it.Noticed slight more power,and calculated somewhere in 0.5ish mpg better fuel economy.Iam also running bigger injectors with a smarty,runs fine.They also sent me a tootsie roll in it too that was the selling point for me couldnt resist.

#21 ·
Thanks for the reply! A tootsie roll LOL that made laugh! But for serious did they really? Some humor out of a company like that on top of a 3 year warranty is almost priceless:rof Was starting to think no one had even bothered with it. Its good to hear you got 80k on one. Of coarse a good "regular" one could possibly do that but being they do some "tinkering" had me worried of the quality of putting back together vs just replacing a computer.. Are you running a fass/airdog or any AM lift pump?

#23 ·
Do you happen to know of anyone else running one?

#26 ·
I bought the same Blue Chip Diesel pump you are looking at in 2014 for $2150.00. It is a great pump! I also added a Raptor lift pump and Bosch BOS-0432-193-635 injectors. This combination really woke this engine up. You'll LOVE that pump. I've got a little over 50,000 miles on mine so far with no problems.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.