Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Thanks for sharing.
Any more feedback? 200k miles of real work truck work and randomly 3 manifold gaskets pooped the bed and been fine ever since you fixed it? No warping cracking of manifold, no reoccurrence?

Upside, that's a good thing and it's not a common issue it seems....

·
White Lightning
13,389 Posts
Thanks for sharing.
Any more feedback? 200k miles of real work truck work and randomly 3 manifold gaskets pooped the bed and been fine ever since you fixed it? No warping cracking of manifold, no reoccurrence?

Upside, that's a good thing and it's not a common issue it seems....
All is still well now, and I’m at 339k miles. When my service writer was compiling my complaints to the tech, he did somewhat “prepare” me for the fact that there could indeed be some small chance that I might have a cracked or warped manifold. Luckily...that was not the case for me.

As to it being an “uncommon” issue.....it’s hard to say. My nephew recently purchased a 2016 RAM 3500 Cab and Chassis, and his is beginning to sound off like a few bottle rockets as of lately.

·
Registered
3,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
All is still well now, and I’m at 339k miles. When my service writer was compiling my complaints to the tech, he did somewhat “prepare” me for the fact that there could indeed be some small chance that I might have a cracked or warped manifold. Luckily...that was not the case for me.

As to it being an “uncommon” issue.....it’s hard to say. My nephew recently purchased a 2016 RAM 3500 Cab and Chassis, and his is beginning to sound off like a few bottle rockets as of lately.
Hmmm, interesting. I'm only going by my unofficial "internet" search and the fact that I've not seen or heard about it, so obviously subjective.
Mine is split on top (maybe bottom too), can see the back half of the gasket has slid out about 1/4" and the front half is still in place.

Just another project...

·
Registered
2014 Ram 2500 CC SB 68RFE
232 Posts
Mine whistled terrible, obnoxiously, embarrassingly loud at idle. I just did them about a month ago. Number 6 was the culprit but I changed them all 1 by one. loosened all studs enough to get space, took out top stud and let old ones swing down, stabbed new ones, took out bottom stud dropping old ones and let new ones swing down to line up. Bolts came out great an I reused them. Never messed with turbo to manifold studs as it was not needed doing it this way. I consider this way cutting corners as I normally like to clean faces of manifold and block when doing something like this (and I will if I have an issue) but I was concerned about not being able to line manifold back up if it shrank/warped and everything looked like it came out clean so I chanced it. Not much of a “coating” to be left behind on these gaskets. Number 6 fell out in pieces. Not only separated layers but also in half on a few. I used Mahle replacements. So far so good. Hardest part was getting that apparently useless #6 locking ring tin pos off. Oh and #1 was kind of a pain with coolant pipe in the way and ham hands but I got it. Trucks a 14.

·
Registered
3,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Thanks @SPOOLITUP !
Haven't had time yet, but I am planning on the shortcut method too. Appreciate you sharing.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts