Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2016 in my sig, about 80k miles and really never worked a day in its life until we got it this winter, have towed a 7-9klb enclosed trailer a few times.
Developed a whistle a couple weeks ago. Most prominent when exhaust brake is working.
Found cylinder #6 gasket is split on top and starting to come out.
Has to be the cause of the leak.
Exhaust manifold has never been off. Locking tab is still on the #6 bolts.
No egt gauge on the truck. I know....
Noticed shortly after towing trailer home in a head wind. Was working truck pretty hard but tuner turned down to idk, 60hp or whatever the tow tune level is. Watched coolant and trans temp like a hawk while towing and neither budged a bit in temperature.
Anyone seen this before?
Just an anomaly or possible sign of warped manifold?
Any experience appreciated! Thanks.
Wanting to just loosen up manifold and slide another gasket in #6 without completely disconnecting everything and removing the manifold. Bad idea? Seems metal gaskets would hold up on other cylinders still.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
It was shrinkage that caused that problem for me but the metal gaskets were in one piece and I got away with retightening the front and rear manifold bolts and stopped the leakage for a long time. I Eventually replaced with a two piece.
Try a new gasket...it's worth a try. Some tuners cool off egt and some drive it sky high and w/o a pyro you have no idea. FWIW, you don't have to be pulling very hard in the top gear to drive egt way up.

·
1,831 Posts
For what a 2 piece manifold costs and the gaskets replace them both and get a pyro. Especially eith a lift and towing.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
As long as we're spending your money... get a fixed vane.

Reactions: krs

·
1,831 Posts
The only thing more retarded than VGTs is DEF. Oh ya and of course the whole truck squat and 8" of tire sticking out past the fenders.

·
Registered
3,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
^ Good recommendations gents, and I agree, a pyro is worth it's weight in gold (or lumber recently...).
That said, I'm fairly certain I wasn't overdoing it, based on the last dozen years watching the egts on our 07 with a hot smoky tune and the same route, same conditions and same/similar loads.
Truck pulling in 5th gear, running around 2200rpms and boost staying in the mid range for 95% of the trip. Not a recipe for super hot egts.
But no excuses there, just seems really odd, as I ran the old truck way harder and way more miles than this truck. Seems more of an anomaly at this point.
I absolutely want to try stuffing a new gasket in it. Only way to really diagnose, if it's repeatable. Not to mention quicker and cheaper than changing out the whole exhaust when it might just be a simple fix.

·
Registered
3,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Was actually thinking studs, fire ringed, twins, 3 pc manifold and some big injectors...lol. Oh and a cam and a meth kit...So it can make it over the curbs at the supermarket and pull my trailer once in a while....Hahaha

·
1,831 Posts
^ Good recommendations gents, and I agree, a pyro is worth it's weight in gold (or lumber recently...).
That said, I'm fairly certain I wasn't overdoing it, based on the last dozen years watching the egts on our 07 with a hot smoky tune and the same route, same conditions and same/similar loads.
Truck pulling in 5th gear, running around 2200rpms and boost staying in the mid range for 95% of the trip. Not a recipe for super hot egts.
But no excuses there, just seems really odd, as I ran the old truck way harder and way more miles than this truck. Seems more of an anomaly at this point.
I absolutely want to try stuffing a new gasket in it. Only way to really diagnose, if it's repeatable. Not to mention quicker and cheaper than changing out the whole exhaust when it might just be a simple fix.
A set of 6 manifold gaskets from Cummins for me was $48 CAD so they are very affordable. And of course a new gasket on the turbo flange. Start with that and see. If the manifold is warped which us unlikely then the aftermarket world can help you. Bd makes a 2 piece with the egr ports etc

·
Registered
3,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The only thing more retarded than VGTs is DEF. Oh ya and of course the whole truck squat and 8" of tire sticking out past the fenders.
I really like our 07 5.9 G56 truck as well, but cant get them anymore, so....

·
Registered
3,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
A set of 6 manifold gaskets from Cummins for me was $48 CAD so they are very affordable. And of course a new gasket on the turbo flange. Start with that and see. If the manifold is warped which us unlikely then the aftermarket world can help you. Bd makes a 2 piece with the egr ports etc
For sure. You think I need to disconnect the turbo though?
Looks like I can unhook the downpipe and loosen all the manifold bolts and then fish a new gasket in. Or all new manifold gaskets, just because.
I've removed alot of exhaust manifold, but never on these engines...

·
1,831 Posts
For sure. You think I need to disconnect the turbo though?
Looks like I can unhook the downpipe and loosen all the manifold bolts and then fish a new gasket in. Or all new manifold gaskets, just because.
I've removed alot of exhaust manifold, but never on these engines...
If you can do it without removing the turbo the better. Then just replace the 6 gaskets. Its quite heavy all together but im sure it's been done. Be careful not to damage the oil and coolant lines on the turbo when you start moving it. You would want a little bit of room to clean the two mating surfaces as well so keep that in mind.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
My down pipe has a support at the bell housing and it might support the turbo if you unbolt it from the manifold. I also use ropes to help support things like that... in fact I just used ropes to support my exh. pipes yesterday while doing some work. That way you could remove the manifold and use a straight edge to check it and gasket match all the ports. All those little things add up.

Reactions: krs

·
Registered
3,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the tips.
If I have a warped manifold, I suppose what I'm planning will be all for naught as I'll have to tear it apart again. But I have no spare time as it is, so I was going for the loosen up the manifold, let it hang on a few of the bolts while I swap in new gaskets.
Sort of half assed, but having never experienced a warped manifold on a diesel and knowing that this truck has now likely only been worked even remotely hard once in it's life, I'm leaning towards an anomaly that the gasket split and is starting to push out.

·
Registered
3,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
On that note, what are the odds that I can reuse all the manifold bolts? I presume they're not TTY bolts.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Mine always came out just like any other bolt and I reused them with neverseize, no problem, but my truck doesn't see salted roads and the engine is rust free.

Reactions: Grit dog

·
White Lightning
13,389 Posts

Reactions: Grit dog

·
Registered
3,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Mine always came out just like any other bolt and I reused them with neverseize, no problem, but my truck doesn't see salted roads and the engine is rust free.
Thanks. No salt here and truck isn't rusty. Appreciate the feedback. I haven't pulled an exhaust manifold off of anything in 20 years and generally they were older rusty vehicles.

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
Anything other than stock, a pyro is required, in my opinion, you have no idea how the tuner threw fuel and timing at it, and the tuner doesn't care.

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
All the emissions stuff is a circle jerk, but it's here to stay . As far as DEF, I invite it, better answer than EGR. At least DEF is an aftertreatment, not a change of the engine operation.

·
Registered
3,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Anything other than stock, a pyro is required, in my opinion, you have no idea how the tuner threw fuel and timing at it, and the tuner doesn't care.
I do not disagree, one bit. I'd put one on today, but that's literally about 50 items down on my priority list in life, given I've put enough miles, understand and been around enough trucks that I can be relatively certain I know that I'm nowhere near meltdown stage with how I operate it.
I've also pulled grades with these trucks where backing out wasn't really a good option and watched those 1500-1600deg continuous pyro readings with nervous trepidation and no consequences.
Not recommending it but gives me comfort that these engines aren't fragile, within reason.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts