Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2011 model 2500 with a 2nd gen swap s464 and Industrial injection 100hp injectors. Truck is studded and fully deleted. It has an H&S Mini max tuner. I purchased the truck in this condition. I'm in the process of doing the HG, the head is at the machine shop now and I should be able to put it back together in the next couple days. I'm new to the platform and have been researching here on the forum and noticed a trend with the H&S MM and blown headgaskets. Just curious as to my options for getting custom tunes that will fix the timing issue that seems to be the cause with these box tuners. Just looking for direction to which options I can take to avoid this happening again. I.e. if I have to change tuners or I can keep this tuner and download other tunes, do I need to revert the truck back to stock before swapping tunes, and how would I even go about that since I bought the truck with the tuner installed. Thanks for any help. I don't have a signature yet but tried to include all mods.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Does the tuner have custom MCC tunes for the 2nd gen swap and injectors? Custom tuning is a must if it doesn't have it already.

You are not going to get an answer unfortunately of who to reach out to for tuning, and will have a hard time finding someone to write tunes for the MM as they closed in '14.

edit : was the truck already studded when you blew the hg?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Does the tuner have custom MCC tunes for the 2nd gen swap and injectors? Custom tuning is a must if it doesn't have it already.

You are not going to get an answer unfortunately of who to reach out to for tuning, and will have a hard time finding someone to write tunes for the MM as they closed in '14.

edit : was the truck already studded when you blew the hg?
Thanks for the reply. Yes the truck was already studded when HG was blown.
I'm not sure what tunes are installed on the truck. How can I check to see what tune I have, and if it's custom? I will post a picture of Settings on my tuner.

Attachments

·
Registered
1990 Dodge w250 12v Cummins (under construction). 2005 Dodge Ram 3500 5.9L Cummins
2,062 Posts
If the hg was replaced when the headstuds were installed, and a cheap hg was used, blowing it isn't unlikely, especially a tuned and modified truck

1990 5.9L 12v Cummins W250
2005 Dodge Ram 3500 5.9L Cummins

·
Registered
726 Posts
A good HG, even with studs will let go with poor tuning. The timing needs to be retarded/adjusted for the box MM tune. My Mini didn't offer adjustable timing, so I had my truck re-tuned via EZlynk after the HG blew, and it is much easier on upper cylinder pressures.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Thanks for the reply. Yes the truck was already studded when HG was blown.
I'm not sure what tunes are installed on the truck. How can I check to see what tune I have, and if it's custom? I will post a picture of Settings on my tuner.
That is canned mini maxx tuning. Your best bet is to find someone who can write you custom tunes via ez lynk or efi live.

The MM canned tuning timing parameters are too high for a non vgt.

·
2,230 Posts
That is canned mini maxx tuning. Your best bet is to find someone who can write you custom tunes via ez lynk or efi live.

The MM canned tuning timing parameters are too high for a non vgt.
I had a Minimaxx on my 07.5 6.7 and put the vgt in a steel bin where it belongs and put a 64.5 BD Super B and at 300k the original headgasket was still fine. It worked just fine with the box tuning. I ran on the 180hp setting all the time with 3500lbs in the box at all times plus towing.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Some are lucky, some aren't. The original MM hot damn tuning could blow a gasket even with the stock vgt turbo.

Either way, for optimal performance custom tuning is your best bet.

Good luck!

·
2,230 Posts
Some are lucky, some aren't. The original MM hot damn tuning could blow a gasket even with the stock vgt turbo.

Either way, for optimal performance custom tuning is your best bet.

Good luck!
The stock VGT increased the likelihood of a blown headgasket. The reason my truck never had issues was because I got rid of it and put in a proper turbo. The VGT are very restrictive and run high driveline pressures. At 32lbs of boost it was around 58-60lbs of exhaust backpressure.

The Super-B would push 38-40lbs of boost with about 40lbs of backpressure.

Yes custom tuning is best. But the VGT is restrictive and unreliable.

·
Premium Member
15,634 Posts
Fire ring the head, use a fresh set of studs if needed, drive on without worries.

·
2,230 Posts
Fire ring the head, use a fresh set of studs if needed, drive on without worries.
Fire ringed heads has been up for debate for daily drivers. They handle the pressure better but temp cycles not so much

·
Premium Member
15,634 Posts
Debate on fire ring heads has been over long time, old bad info that has been invalidated by experience. Done correctly and TQ'ed correctly no issues with temp cycles or anything else. All part of of the 6.7 bullet proofing recommended by people that have forgot more about these engines than most will ever know.

Reactions: massmayhem

·
Registered
7,783 Posts
I have a 2011 model 2500 with a 2nd gen swap s464 and Industrial injection 100hp injectors. Truck is studded and fully deleted. It has an H&S Mini max tuner. I purchased the truck in this condition. I'm in the process of doing the HG, the head is at the machine shop now and I should be able to put it back together in the next couple days. I'm new to the platform and have been researching here on the forum and noticed a trend with the H&S MM and blown headgaskets. Just curious as to my options for getting custom tunes that will fix the timing issue that seems to be the cause with these box tuners. Just looking for direction to which options I can take to avoid this happening again. I.e. if I have to change tuners or I can keep this tuner and download other tunes, do I need to revert the truck back to stock before swapping tunes, and how would I even go about that since I bought the truck with the tuner installed. Thanks for any help. I don't have a signature yet but tried to include all mods.
Match your timing with your power setting and you’re good to go.
All defuels off for your model year.
Even with your custom set up I ran mine without MCC for a while until I found a decent human to tune for me.

·
Premium Member
15,634 Posts
One match anything they want, turn this off, turn that on, pray, but the reality is it is one glitch one mistake, one different driver from scooting the head and MLS gasket is done no mater what studs are used. Can NOT compensate for a design flaw with programming. Pushing the power without fir rings is just asking for trouble.

Ignoring the work done by Haisley and others to develop a blue print for a bullet proof 6.7 build is just plain ignorance, not functional knowledge.

Ignoring the fact that ANY high HP diesel engine is running a fire ring is living in an alternate reality, just doesn't work like that.

For those that cannot be bothered to research, implement, or understand the differences the DD solution is not using a square cut d-ring, those are for the engines that take 2 cans of ether to start. A radiused ring in a radiused groove with the correct protrusion and TQ'ing has no issues with heat cycles. You WILL break something else before losing an HG again.

An urge to play, 100 HP 6.7 injectors, a big turbo, H&S tuner, and NO fire ring is just criminal neglect. It WILL run until it doesn't, then it will cost some $$ to fix. If that is ones play, go for it. Bottom line is there is a way to play hard, work hard, and drain the wallet on parts.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts