Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys got a problem. Went to the drags this weekend and was doing really good until on my fourth run something went out. I really hope its not the head gasket and I don't think it is.

The symptoms are that I can't build hardly any boost because it is as leaking out around the exhaust manifold. It sounds like there is like a big plastic bag rattling under my hood next to the turbo every time I accellerate. When I mashed the gas at a stop with the hood up, black smoke comes out all around the 6 exhaust manifold ports and more so from the bottom side.

I ordered another set of exhaust manifold gaskets because I just installed this new turbo a month ago and didn't have a new set. Just wondering if that will fix the problem or if there is something bigger wrong here. Hope its not the head gasket. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
all of ur boots to intercooler and everything is tight to make sure u dont have a boost leak as well? I would start with the exhaust manifold gasket and see if that does it. If u have a blown head gasket look for leaking antifreeze and check the oil to see if it is contaminated.

Mike

·
Premium Member
1,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I checked all the boots and everything first. No leaks there and no antifreeze leaking. I'll check the oil tomorrow. I have gaskets on the way.

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
If your wastegate housing on your turbo is on the back side, you might make sure you didn't blow that gasket also. It could blow against the block and make it look like it's the manifold gaskets.

Did you race at Amarillo dragway? How did it run? I plan on getting mine back over there this summer.
I'm working on swapping a 6 liter into my son's chevy shortwide right now. He seem's to think that's more important--kid's.............

Randy

·
Premium Member
1,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah I ran it at the Amarillo Dragway. This was my best showing yet. I'm still getting used to drag racing...or even racing from a stop really. Since mine is a 6 speed its hard to launch. I usually just race everyone from a punch...and beat everything too. But I did set a new personal record at the track before everything started messing up. It was a 14.7. I know thats not very impressive but its a huge improvement for me. I hope to see you at the track this summer. Me and my brother are planning on spending a lot of time up there this summer. We have very distinguishable trucks. His is a red ford with 20s and black stripes on the hood like mine. Thanks for the advice too

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
If I'm not mistaken, I saw you guys there one night. We didn't race then--just spectating. Hope to see you there

Randy

·
Premium Member
1,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah we were there the big family night or whatever whenever it was insanely packed about a month ago. That was the day I put on the new turbo so it wasn't a very good night at the track since it was so much different than the stock turbo. But yeah just come holler at me if you see me up there we should be up there a lot this summer.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts