Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I have on 01 3500 4x4 about 135k miles, my sig shows all my mods. I'm pushing about 45 lbs of boost. I blew the head gasket 2 weeks ago. I have done all my own repairs so far but I don't claim to know what I'm doing. I'm looking for input and advice on the job ahead of me. I took the head off with no problems. I'm taking it to a machine shop to have them do a valve job, o-ring and port the head. I'm upgrading with 425 head studs new springs o-ring and a stock gasket. I'm writing this for two reasons. One I'd like any tips on making the reassembly go smoothly (i'm nervous about setting valve lash) and I don't want to do something thats going to blow the new head. Two, The exhaust push rod in the #6 cylinder was bent enough to cause rubbing and the rod is chewed pretty good on one side. Anyone have a guess as to why this happened.
Also a side note an old mechanic said that he has seen head gaskets blow because of a leaking radiator, (something to do with a loss of pressure in the system) which my truck had for about a month. I patched it (temporarily) with some jb weld. Anyone run it to a similar case.
Like I said i'm looking for wisdom, I did take pics of the process so far and plan to do a write up when this is done to share what little knowledge I have.

·
Premium Member
12,068 Posts
Bent/worn pushrod porbablly result of some long past previous repair. It is tight back there and damage could happen when holes in cowl unknown,.
I'm sure a search would give you more info on lash adjust. It simple nuf.
BS on old mechanic tale.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Bent/worn pushrod porbablly result of some long past previous repair. It is tight back there and damage could happen when holes in cowl unknown,.
I'm sure a search would give you more info on lash adjust. It simple nuf.
BS on old mechanic tale.
:agree2::ditto:

·
Registered
71 Posts
lash is super simple bar the engine over until cyl. 1 rockers are both loose intake clearance is.10 exhaust is .20 u want the feeler guage to be fairly tight but loose enuff that you can slide it from under the rocker. while at TDC 1 you will do Intake 1,2,4 Exhaust 1,3,5 at TDC 6 its Intake 6,3,5 and Exhaust 6,2,4 you can go to any parts store and get a chilton book for a reference when your working

Reactions: dieselmarine

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So there is a general lack of concern for the bent push rod. So I should be good to just replace it and move on.

·
Registered
605 Posts
So there is a general lack of concern for the bent push rod. So I should be good to just replace it and move on.
put in a new one bar the engine over a few times and see if you feel any spots of resistance. if not pull the power for the ip and run the starter, then pull the push rod and check for straightness.

Reactions: dieselmarine

·
Registered
834 Posts
You can visually see that the push rod is bent, or just scratched. You could roll it on a smooth piece of glass, buy some new ones or find somebody thats parting out a motor. Doing your valves is easy. Like mentioned before, get a manual. There great for general knowledge.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You can visually see that the push rod is bent, or just scratched. You could roll it on a smooth piece of glass, buy some new ones or find somebody thats parting out a motor. Doing your valves is easy. Like mentioned before, get a manual. There great for general knowledge.
bent very bent you can see it and it is apparent that being bent caused it to rub

1 - 8 of 8 Posts