Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted about this problem a few months back, and it is still an issue.

The coupler that comes off the small turbo and links with the down tube going into the intercooler keeps blowing out. I mean a 3" hole in the side style blowout!! Last time it was on the way home and just a few miles away, so I limped it back. But this time I was 225 miles from home, but luckily 5 miles from the town we were heading. Had to get a tow for the the 5th wheel the last 5 miles, but limped the empty truck to our campsite. I next day aired a new coupler, installed it and heading on our way home. 5 miles is all this one lasted!!

It is always under heavy load, towing 14k. And it's always on a long hill at the top. I try to keep my foot regulated to 1250-1300 max egt's, and don't run over 1350.

I had a Banks intercooler, so here was my concern. While that was very sufficient when I was running a single turbo, is the compound system producing too much cfm, causing a build up of back pressure that blows the coupler on long pulls?

I had to get my wife home for work, so I had a BD Performance intercooler shipped to me and I installed it before coming home. I left my trailer at a storage facility and just got home. Obviously didn't have any problems on the way home (other than trying to keep her under 100 mph!!), she wants to run!

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't have a gauge that accurately measures the psi, but I believe it is somewhere around 60 psi. The boots I am using are PPE.

I wish I could upload a photo, but that doesn't seem to work. It uploads and just disappears. The photos meet the requirements of pixels and resolution, but still won't upload.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
This is odd. I have a banks intercooler and am also running ppe boots and have never had an issue other then the boot going onto the intake horn popping off but I figured that was an installer (my) error.
I have seen as much as 70 psi with my setup.
I’m wondering if perhaps there is a sharp edge somewhere compromising the boot or are there any odd angles that might be putting weird stress on them?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No sharp edges. It has always blown out on the passenger side.

The down tube is shaped like a shallow Z. Each time it has blown out, the turbo out and the Z tube are no longer lined up. The Z tube lifts about 1/2" to an 1". I thought it was a result of the coupler loosing integrity from the blow out. It looks lined up when it's installed.

How much flex is there with the engine?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was looking at some photos of the original install and the blowouts. I can see in the blowouts and the build photo where the coupler has a kink in it from the tubes not lining up. I am starting to think they didn't measure the tubing properly and it's too long, causing a kink in the coupler which leads to compromised equipment.

https://lordravenblk.smugmug.com/Tubro-coupler/

I've added a link to some photos since I can't seem to post them here.

Thoughts?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts