Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Dodge Ram 2500, 5.9, G56 Manual trans
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have an issue that I’m scratching my head over, I have a 2006 2500 g56 truck, have not had an issue with this truck since I purchased it, have put around 5k miles on it, total has around 171k, changed oil right when I got it, so here’s my issue, drove it to work last week ran fine, made it less than 10 miles down the road coming home and engine started knocking real bad, shut truck down right away and had it trailer to my garage, checked oil level and it wasn’t in the dip stick, pulled filter and cut open to check for metal thinking it was a bearing, filter is clean, pulled turbo and seals are still good, drained oil and only got around 1 gallon out of the truck, I had just checked the oil two weeks ago and still had a good level. So I filled it back up new filter, started truck and it ran fine no noise at all, today tried to drive it fired up fine idea normal, as soon as I started going down the road the knock came back around 1700 rpm in 4th gear and won’t go away, I also have tons of blow by to the point the engine bay is filled with white smoke out of the crank case breather, any help of this issue or issues would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I’d bet injector burnt a whole in a piston.

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
1. Send drained oil sample in to oil test lab.
2. Pray on prayer rug facing Mecca 7 times a day.

Or just prepare your wallet for a $6k>$10k shock and awe. Use ONLY Cummins parts in rebuild, go cheap and ya go Junke.
Then pull the head and weep.
Use ONLY the best diesel engine machine shop in your area. Close warranty and easy to get advice/answers.
Use ONLY NEW Bosch or BBI injectors w/ new connector tubes in rebuild. Some have good luck with BBI's rebuilt by Bosch engineers that went out on their own business. With stock OEM POS cannister fuel filter, the oil high mileage injectors are worn out and corroded out.

Before the new motor is started, Commercial Class 8 HD construction equip water separator with bottom drain and a 3 micron dirt filter, Donaldson, CAT, Fleetguard, on pr. of Wix bases, some fittings and plumbed into the fuel line > engine under back floorboard or frame.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I had the same problem essentially and it was a broken top ring of the piston. And like steelhead1 said it might be time to pull the head soon for a little peak inside

·
Registered
987 Posts
Before pulling the motor apart, do yourself a favor and at least do a compression check.

·
Registered
36 Posts
1. Send drained oil sample in to oil test lab.
2. Pray on prayer rug facing Mecca 7 times a day.

Or just prepare your wallet for a $6k>$10k shock and awe. Use ONLY Cummins parts in rebuild, go cheap and ya go Junke.
Then pull the head and weep.
Use ONLY the best diesel engine machine shop in your area. Close warranty and easy to get advice/answers.
Use ONLY NEW Bosch or BBI injectors w/ new connector tubes in rebuild. Some have good luck with BBI's rebuilt by Bosch engineers that went out on their own business. With stock OEM POS cannister fuel filter, the oil high mileage injectors are worn out and corroded out.

Before the new motor is started, Commercial Class 8 HD construction equip water separator with bottom drain and a 3 micron dirt filter, Donaldson, CAT, Fleetguard, on pr. of Wix bases, some fittings and plumbed into the fuel line > engine under back floorboard or frame.
Oddly enough the last truck I did that hung an injector open the oil analysis came back really good. It was caught super early though. Just not in time to save it.

·
Premium Member
6,621 Posts
The big question is where did all your oil go?
on the ground , out the exhaust, or never put in.

·
Registered
2006 Dodge Ram 2500, 5.9, G56 Manual trans
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The big question is where did all your oil go?
on the ground , out the exhaust, or never put in.
the truck had oil 3 weeks prior to this happening, as far as where it went I have no clue, nothing on the ground, tail pipe doesn’t seem to have any oil on it, and seals are still good in the turbo, after filling it back up with oil inlet the truck run for about 15-20 minutes, had to add almost a quart to bring it back to same level, going to pull the injectors this weekend and put a borescope inside to see if I can see any damage before pulling the head.

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
Here's your sign:
""I also have tons of blow by to the point the engine bay is filled with white smoke out of the crank case breather,

Bet the underside of the pickup looks like it ran through 2" sloppy thin hot road tar from all the oil and dust dripping and caked on.

See several 3rd Gen 5.9s every year pulling a trailer, front of trailer looks like gushing oil well.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts