Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Cummins Power Addict
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this has topic has been covered a lot, but this is a little different.
I know there's the BD Turbo Guard, but the cheapest I've found is $660 USD.
Now, I'm pretty sure I can find an 1-1/2" electric shut-off valve from work for free. All I'd have to do is hook it up to the intercooler pipe going to the intake manifold, it's Normally closed, then just need to wire it up to open when I let off the throttle.

I'm wanting ideas as to the best approach to do that. Should I have the same type of throttle position sensor like BD's does, or should I run it off drive pressure, and what would a good way of doing that be? Any other ideas?

Now, I know I probably don't need this for my truck, but it's just a thought I'm playing with and I may have myself a HX40W for real cheap to try, and if I like it, I'd like to be extra careful of the "weaker" shaft issue.

·
Premium Member
16,224 Posts
Will the valve from work handle the heat?

·
Cummins Power Addict
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thatd be another issue I guess, how hot is the air after the intercooler typically

·
Premium Member
16,224 Posts
Most times it's only about 20°F hotter than the outside temprature but under high boost and egts it's not unusual to get over 250°

·
Cummins Power Addict
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yah they may not be able to handle it, and come to think of... I doubt the ones I'd be able to get from work would handle the psi. They're meant for fuel gas shutdowns... very low pressure.

Oh well, was a good idea in theory lol

1 - 5 of 5 Posts