Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, winter time is coming up and i have another block heater question. So lets say i plug my truck in overnight while the outside temp is 34 or below, Is it okay to leave it plugged in after i start it to help it continue to warm up or will this damage something? The reason i ask is i have remote start and i live in an apartment so in the mornings it's nice and easy to sit inside and start the truck a while before i leave for work.

·
FRIENDS OF COAL
3,405 Posts
I heard that it wasnt good to have the truck running and plugged in. My theory would be, the whole purpose of the Block Heater and plug is to assist with starting, Help with cold starts. So When you start the truck I dont think having it plugged in would even help it get warmer faster. You could go the route if you want, getting a 3 cylinder high idle, the truck will idle faster, and warm up faster. Then when its all warmed up, you just turn it back to normal idle. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
10,349 Posts
As long as you don't forget it's plugged in your good... But really you don't want to let your truck idle more than a minute in cold weather. It's not as hard on your VP truck as newer ones, but cold idling is never good. Your easiest on the motor if you start it, unplug, get in and drive away.

I also would invest in a timer for your block heater. 90 minutes will give you 90% of the overnight temp at a great reduction in savings. The timer pays for itself in weeks. A winter front will also really help warmup and block heater efficiency.

·
FRIENDS OF COAL
3,405 Posts
I usually plug my truck in when I get home at 3:00PM and unplug it in when I leave for work at 4:00AM, My electric bill is $70.00 more in the winter months. Im gonna have to get a timer. Thanks AH64ID :thumbsup:

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
As long as you don't forget it's plugged in your good... But really you don't want to let your truck idle more than a minute in cold weather. It's not as hard on your VP truck as newer ones, but cold idling is never good. Your easiest on the motor if you start it, unplug, get in and drive away.

I also would invest in a timer for your block heater. 90 minutes will give you 90% of the overnight temp at a great reduction in savings. The timer pays for itself in weeks. A winter front will also really help warmup and block heater efficiency.
Thanks, and yeah i was planning on buying a timer too and i have a winter front. Where is a good place to find a timer?

·
Registered
3,228 Posts

Because I don't plug in every night, and approach my truck from the drivers side, when I do plug in, I have a reminder sheet that I hang on the steering wheel when I get out. Printed on the Computer "Please Unplug ME!" Very Large Font.:thumbsup:

I also have a timer, set for the time I get out of bed, about 90 minutes warm up time.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.