Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mornings here have been in the single digits and my truck is getting hard to turnover. starts fine when its warm. first diesel so im new to this

my question is in order for me to plug it in over night, all i need to do is buy the cord that plugs into my block, and then just hook it up to my extension cord?

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
Mornings here have been in the single digits and my truck is getting hard to turnover. starts fine when its warm. first diesel so im new to this

my question is in order for me to plug it in over night, all i need to do is buy the cord that plugs into my block, and then just hook it up to my extension cord?
All vehicles will get "harder" to start in the cold weather. The block heater will help your truck start slightly easier, but the main thing is that you will get heat faster. I sometimes plug in my truck and sometimes dont, even with temps well below zero my truck starts fine.

What you need to do is go to genos garage (online) and order a block heater cord, $17 verses the $60 at the dealer. Once you attact the cord to your truck get a nice heavy duty extension cord and a heavy duty outdoor timer. Set the timer to come on about 2-3 hours before you start your truck up in the morning, this will save you some on your electric bill.

To help your truck start easier in the morning syn oil really helps as it doesnt thicken up in the cold like dyno oil. Make sure you run some antigell also.

·
Premium Member
12,001 Posts
the cord should have come on the truck...look up under the exhaust manifold near the oil filter, you'll see something screwed into the block...follow that cord till you find the plug

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
All vehicles will get "harder" to start in the cold weather. The block heater will help your truck start slightly easier, but the main thing is that you will get heat faster. I sometimes plug in my truck and sometimes dont, even with temps well below zero my truck starts fine.

What you need to do is go to genos garage (online) and order a block heater cord, $17 verses the $60 at the dealer. Once you attact the cord to your truck get a nice heavy duty extension cord and a heavy duty outdoor timer. Set the timer to come on about 2-3 hours before you start your truck up in the morning, this will save you some on your electric bill.

To help your truck start easier in the morning syn oil really helps as it doesnt thicken up in the cold like dyno oil. Make sure you run some antigell also.
much appreciated! i had just heard a rumor it was bad for the truck to start with having it plugged in. thanks for the info

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
much appreciated! i had just heard a rumor it was bad for the truck to start with having it plugged in. thanks for the info

*without having it plugged in*

·
Registered
102 Posts
the trucks come with the block heater installed but not all come with the cords already installed.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts