Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Everyone, hope you can help with my situation.

Quick Back Story: Took truck into body shop for hail damage. Somewhere along the process (probably when they took the front bumper off), my block heater cord, which was routed up to my front bumper and zip-tied on, was ripped apart.

Body shop is acknowledging the problem and ordered a new cord from Dodge.

When the new cord came in, the body shop is telling me that the engine side of the cord does not fit the heater connection and also, the new cord does not match my old cord that was installed. The body shop is telling me that Dodge looked up my VIN and sent them the corresponding cord.

My questions: Did Cummins ever install multiple versions of the block heater in the engine that require different types of cord connections? Are there multiple part numbers for the block heater cords?

Thanks for your help!

·
Premium Member
1,954 Posts
Factory block heater should be the same. It is possible an aftermarket block heater was installed at some point which may require a different cord end.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Don't have pictures yet. Body shop still has the truck.

Regarding an aftermarket block heater, I bought the truck 1 year old with 19k on the ododmeter, as the second owner and being bone stock. I don't know if the original owner put one in, but didn't Cummins put the block heater in every engine as standard?

Thanks!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the pictures. I will compare them to my original cord.

Its going to be annoying if it is an aftermarket heater and trying to find a replacement cord.

·
Registered
579 Posts
I know they said the cord was matched by the VIN but it almost sounds like you may have received a cord for a gasser. The block heater has remained the same for many years on Cummins trucks.

Reactions: LT1JeepYJ

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks. I'm sure they're available, you just never really hear about block heaters on gas motors. I am hoping its something simple like that. The body shop is supposed to be sending me pictures of the ends sometime today, so i'll be able to compare then.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Yup, you can get a gasser block heater. It might be a regional thing as part of a cold weather package, though. Curious to see what the pictures show.

Reactions: LT1JeepYJ

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, it turns out it was a gas vs. diesel issue. The dealership gave them the cord for a HEMI block heater. The engine side connector was kind of boomerang shaped instead of fully round.

I called a different dealership, got the p/n for the correct cord and gave that to the body shop. They got it on order and should be in tomorrow . . . hopefully.

Thanks everyone for your assistance.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts